12v or 240v downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install downlighters in the bathroom and in the bedrooms. I am aware that the ones to be fitted into the bathroom have to be low voltage but what is best for the bedrooms?

A lot of people talk about the pros and cons of each but there doesn't really seem to be much difference unless I'm missing something. I was thinking of going with low voltage in the bedrooms too.

Sponsored Links
I am looking to install downlighters in the bathroom and in the bedrooms. I am aware that the ones to be fitted into the bathroom have to be low voltage but what is best for the bedrooms?

230v falls into the Low Voltage bracket.
12v falls into the Extra-Low Voltage bracket.
You can have either in your bathroom but IP ratings may need to be considered as would notification to building control under Part P depending on the zone they're located in.

Light output from ELV (12V) fittings is far superior to that of an equivalent wattage 230v GU10 lamp. It's crisper and much brighter.
One negative is an extra component which may fail though if you buy good quality transformers then it may not be such an issue.

what is best for the bedrooms?
Neither.

Just as neither is best for the bathroom.

A lot of people talk about the pros and cons of each but there doesn't really seem to be much difference unless I'm missing something.
There isn't much difference - they are all ******* useless.

To make an analogy with cars, your question is a bit like asking whether a Landcruiser Amazon or a Lincoln Navigator is the best for fuel efficiency and sporty handling...

ban-all-sheds is about spot on. The thing I consider is tungsten bulbs are to be with drawn so you will as some point have to use energy efficient bulbs. LED bulbs are like toc H candles cold cathode is only real alternative and as yet only available as GU10 so 230 volt seems best option unless you only want them for a short time.
But most the energy saving are longer than old tungsten bulbs so care needs to be used to select a model which will take longer bulbs without looking rotten.
Which means ban-all-sheds comments are about stop on.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back