12v Relay to switch 7 30W LED Floods

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a 12V relay that on alarm will turn on Qty 7 30W LED floods (all on the same mains circuit).
What rating of switching current will I need? I ask this unsurely as when sourcing the house dimmers for the in ceiling LEDs a 3W led needed about 10W of dimming capability (max 8-10 LEDs on a 300W dimmer switch). Not sure if that is a consideration in this setup.
Can anybody advise a suitable product, or perhaps if necessary using more than 1 - Thanks

Sponsored Links
I use these.

http://www.sdfirealarms.co.uk/fire-protection/12v-auxiliary-relay.html

We have 6 of these on our alarm system switching various lighting loads. They are conveniently packaged on standard 1 gang deep box, have loop screw terminals on both the 12V inputs & mains switch contacts, have double pole changeover contacts and have a handy LED to show when operated. They are rated 5A @ 230V more than ample to switch your LED floods.

(I have no connection with SD-Fire Alarms other than being a Customer)

Sponsored Links
Thanks Guys. The RIU-R12 12V Auxiliary Relay looks good Adrian. I had seen an Elmdene one Mark but is it 3 Amp (rather than 5A above).
Adrian, will this be ok so switch all 7 through one RIU-R12 ?
Much appreciated.

Adrian, will this be ok so switch all 7 through one RIU-R12 ?

The relay is good for 5 x 230 = 1150 VA... your LED floods are 7 x 30 =210VA plus losses - it'll be fine.

(There's a little more to it than that... those floods are capacitive loads and the relay should really be de-rated but its so generously rated with respect to your application that you'll be fine switching all 7 through one relay.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back