remote control relays and led lamps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a few weeks ago my mate showed me his new headlamp he bought from china, i thought at first it was cheap rubbish, that was until he put it in my hand and i turned it on (it was dark) i was blown away by how intesnse the beam was and with its brilliant bright white light.

i researched the item, and with in a few hours had bought one from china on ebay, the item arrived within a week, from my research i gathered that it is using one of the latest leds on the market a 1800 Lumen CREE XML T6, 8.4v 6400mAh Battery Pack and battery charger for £16 quid inc delivery, this really is one of my favourite purchases, this is one hell of a headlamp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1800-Lume...sure_Cycling_Bike_Lights&hash=item48452e55cd.

i then started looking into led lamps to be used in my security system etc, after seeing videos on youtube about ratecs white leds etc, which are far too expensive for my home use, so i settled on the following.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24W-LED-S...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19cd5cb9ae

waiting for it to be delivered from china before i purchase more.

how was i going to turn it on and off? how would i add more of these items? how would i controil them all togther / individulay.

so i settled on a remote control relay switch 12v 6 channel

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260739698681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

so if i have worked everything out and if i have understood this it should work like this.

1. i use a max 7amp 12v psu, this supplys the power for the remote relay switch and provides the power for the led lamp/lamps, the relay will switch a max of 7amps in total.

2. i wire everything up correctly com etc for the switching.

this should now give me a remote control led lighting system, each led lamp will use about 23w and 12v to 30v dc, and has a ip rating of 65.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
So how big are the grounds?
LED is still a hit and miss item for lighting.

grounds are massive, but these leds wont be used to light the full grounds, a gjd system will be used for that.

these leds will be used to light gates, windows and doors (where my cctv monitors), as they only use 24w they will be left on all night, infact im going to wire some dusk till dawns into this led system, it seems that these leds are cheapest (electricity wise) to run and i can have them on all night.

ps thanks to ebay i have 4 gjd opal elites.

Sponsored Links
It's a pretty simple circuit to make and would cost only a few pence. Just a few resistors, an LDR, diode, transistor and relay. Or use a standard 240vac photocell to drive a relay with a 240vac coil. This would give you a clean set of contacts to switch whatever you like.

Still not a proven medium.
It will get there, just not yet.

Or use a standard 240vac photocell to drive a relay with a 240vac coil. This would give you a clean set of contacts to switch whatever you like.

You can very often convert a 240 volt photocell to 12 volt by changing the components that convert 240 volts AC to the DC supply of about 12 volts that power the electronics to make it work on 12 volt DC. Usually one or two capacitors rated at 240 volts, a resistor and a zener diode that regulates the voltage to the elctronics. If the zener is between 10 to 15 volts remove it and feed the 12 volts to the electronics. If the zener is less than 10 then leave it fitted and change the resistor and feed the 12 volts via the resistor.

Ensure it is clearly labelled as modified to operate on 12 volts

i found a 12v photocell http://www.dusk-to-dawn-switch.co.uk/.

scott and bernard, i wish i had the now how on how to do what you suggested, but that is all above me lol, your idears are interesting very interesting infact, and thank you both for showing a interest in trying to help me out.

what i do know is that, using my remote relay switch, the relay will be turned on, and the photocell will be wired after the relay switch and before the light, some of my other leds (when i get them) will be used without a dusk to dawn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back