13a extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I need to make a 2 gang extension (approx 3 meters in length). Should I use 0.75mm or 1mm white flex?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Neither.

For 13A, you would need 1.25mm² minimum.

Is there a better way? IE, can you do away with the need for a lead altogether?

The other issue is what the lead is used for. If external for example, it may be advantageous to use blue arctic. It's flexible and the colour stands out in an external environment.

Is the lead to run 2 x 13A appliances?

lol, and I was actually going to put down 1.25mm, but ended up putting 1mm down as I did not see 1.25mm flex available on the b&q website.

No other way really, was just going to run the 2 gang off a double socket to run:

- desk lamp, 25watt dont know the amp fuse it would use (E14 bulb)
- Tv, on power 41watt, assume 13amp.

I already have a 2 gang 13a trailing socket, so just need to wire up, unless there are huge objections!? Cheers

Sponsored Links
actually my assumption on 13a for the tv is likely wrong, according to electrical safety council, the tv and desk lamp will both use 3a fuses......

Possibly.

But, based on the 1.25mm suggestion, and the items that will be plugged, anyone confirm this cable is ok??

He's already got the trailing socket, which is the major expense item, and can't be used for anything except an extension lead. Might as well be green and use it rather than contribute to the production of more plastic.

mdemetri - 1.5mm² 3-core flex, plug (preferably rubber "toughplug" type) with a 13A fuse.

Possibly. But, based on the 1.25mm suggestion, and the items that will be plugged, anyone confirm this cable is ok??
With the items you've mentioned, 1.25 mm² would be fine. However, one should theoretically consider the possibility that other things might be plugged in at some point in the future. 1.25 mm² is OK 'by the skin of its teeth' for a total 13A load (the most you can have becasue of the 13A fuse in the plug), but 1.5 mm² would arguably be 'nicer'. The ready-made extensions probably use 1.25 mm² cable, to save a few pennies. However, as I said, it's really not worth making one up for yourself.

Kind Regards, John.

He's already got the trailing socket, which is the major expense item, and can't be used for anything except an extension lead. Might as well be green and use it rather than contribute to the production of more plastic.
Neither - you should just buy one ready made.
Why the U-turn - are you scraping the barrel for something to disagree with (even if it has to be yourself)? :)

Kind Regards, John

mdemetri - 1.5mm² 3-core flex, plug (preferably rubber "toughplug" type) with a 13A fuse.
Why "preferably rubber "toughplug" type", given that it sounds as if this extension is to be used in some living space (table lamp and TV). Do you perhaps advocate "toughplugs" for everything?

Kind Regards, John

great thanks JohnW2, 1.5mm flex it is.

ban-all-sheds - will take a look at the rubber tough plug type, otherwise will be a standard plug I am sure I will already have.

Thanks everyone, appreciated!

great thanks JohnW2, 1.5mm flex it is. ban-all-sheds - will take a look at the rubber tough plug type, otherwise will be a standard plug I am sure I will already have.
The only real advantage of the rubber plugs is that they are less brittle and therefore less likely to shatter when hit by something very heavy/hard, hence are sensible in environments like workshops and garages. I suspect that, for your purpose, they would offer little advantage over a standard plug. Furthermore, to cite BAS's 'U-turned" argument, if you already have a standard plug, you might as well use it - unless there is a very good reason for favouring a rubber one.

Kind Regards, John

Why "preferably rubber "toughplug" type", given that it sounds as if this extension is to be used in some living space (table lamp and TV).
For now.

Do you perhaps advocate "toughplugs" for everything?
All extension leads - they are liable to get bundled up, thrown around, carted hither and yon and used in all sorts of environments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back