13a extension

Sponsored Links
Do you perhaps advocate "toughplugs" for everything?
All extension leads - they are liable to get bundled up, thrown around, carted hither and yon and used in all sorts of environments.
Agreed. One should always aspire to use BS 1363/A plugs on any extension leads.
For a 'general purpose' extension lead, or for portable tools etc. I would certainly agree, and I suppose you and BAS will argue that there's no telling what the extension lead in question will be used for in the future. However, what was described to us appeared to be a short, dedicated, extension for a table lamp and TV - and I personally wouldn't feel that this justified/required a rubber plug.

You'd probably have to look reasonably hard to find a ready-made short extension lead which came with a rubber plug.

Kind Regards, John.

A lot of talk about cable sizes and plug types, but no-one so far has mentioned that we can have some control over the total load that our extension leads will carry. We can put a 3A, 5A or 13A fuse (or even a 10A if you can get hold of one) in the plug. Thus, if all you have is some 1mm² cable then a 10A fuse would be appropriate, 5A for 0.75mm² etc. Of course, this does not prevent A.N. Other coming along, plugging in a 3kW heater, blowing the fuse and replacing it with a 13A. But, love 'em or hate 'em BS1363 runs rings round Schuko in my opinion.

Back on topic, if the OP is running a table lamp and a (modern non-CRT) TV, then technically, at least, 0.50 cable with a 3A fuse in the plug *could* be used.

Sponsored Links
A lot of talk about cable sizes and plug types, but no-one so far has mentioned that we can have some control over the total load that our extension leads will carry. We can put a 3A, 5A or 13A fuse (or even a 10A if you can get hold of one) in the plug. Thus, if all you have is some 1mm² cable then a 10A fuse would be appropriate, 5A for 0.75mm² etc.
True, but the reason no-one has mentioned it is probably....
Of course, this does not prevent A.N. Other coming along, ... and replacing it [fuse] with a 13A.
As for ...
Back on topic, if the OP is running a table lamp and a (modern non-CRT) TV, then technically, at least, 0.50 cable with a 3A fuse in the plug *could* be used.
Although I've already indicated that I felt a rubber plug was a bit OTT for this 'dedicated' extension, I do think that (even if currently for a 'dedicated' low-load purpose) anything which looks like, sounds like and smells like a '13A extension lead' really ought to have cable which can take 13A (i.e. at least 1.25 mm²), because of the above-mentioned uncertainty about what changes to the fuse might occur in the future.

Kind Regards, John

I have edited my response to John's post as he has edited his post...

I have edited my response to John's post as he has edited his post...
Eh? Have you posted this in the right thread? You don't appear to have ever responded to any of my posts in this thread, nor have either you or I edited any posts in this thread!

Kind Regards, John

A lot of talk about cable sizes and plug types, but no-one so far has mentioned that we can have some control over the total load that our extension leads will carry. We can put a 3A, 5A or 13A fuse (or even a 10A if you can get hold of one) in the plug. Thus, if all you have is some 1mm² cable then a 10A fuse would be appropriate, 5A for 0.75mm² etc.
True, but the reason no-one has mentioned it is probably....
Of course, this does not prevent A.N. Other coming along, ... and replacing it [fuse] with a 13A.
As for ...
Although I've already indicated that I felt a rubber plug was a bit OTT for this 'dedicated' extension, I do think that (even if currently for a 'dedicated' low-load purpose) anything which looks like, sounds like and smells like a '13A extension lead' really ought to have cable which can take 13A (i.e. at least 1.25 mm²), because of the above-mentioned uncertainty about what changes to the fuse might occur in the future.

Kind Regards, John

Hi John

I was typing a response to what you wrote above. When I refreshed, what you had typed had changed, making my response invalid.

I'm not a big fan of some rubber plugs. The pins are often displaced by rough treatment, leading to damaged sockets.
OK to have a rubber (or other shatterproof) top to the plug, but the part the pins sit in needs to be rigid.

AFAICT, all apart from the very early ones have a rigid body, it's just the cover that is rubber.

I was typing a response to what you wrote above. When I refreshed, what you had typed had changed, making my response invalid.
Ah, I see - when you said that you had 'edited' your post, you meant that you had anihilated it! I must say that I can't remember what changes I made to that post - when I do that, it's usually only because of typos!

Kind Regards, John.

BGE_HDPT13B.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back