13A FCU to single/double socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a quick one.

I have an FCU which used to power a small electric fireplace however there is only one socket (wrong side of the room for necessary use) so need to either lug a big old extension cable around the perimeter or use the old FCU wiring and replace with a single or double socket.

Its 13A and seems to be on the mains circuit. Would I be right in thinking I can swap this out for a single file or double socket without any fuss or am I mistaken?

This is in a reception room too so no water issues as there obviously would be in a wc or kitchen.

rAsuP4a

Thanks

Sponsored Links
... a single file or double socket ...
I can usually work out what someone probably intended to write when things are not totally clear but, in this case, unless the word "file" is totally redundant (i.e. you just mean ".. a single or double socket"), I think this one may have beaten me :)

Kind Regards, John

Lets assume that the Op meant that "its a FCU that is on the main ring" (please explain how he can check this) and that he wants to swap it for a single or double socket.

So what are his options? What can he do? can he DIY this or does it require notification?/a self certifying electrician?

Sponsored Links
It could be a radial circuit.

It probably is impossible to tell from here whether its a ring circuit, radial circuit or a bodge.
If governed by a 30/32A device then likely a ring, but...

It doesn't require notification but he is supposed to know what he is doing or, at least, get reliable advice.

Lets assume that the Op meant that "its a FCU that is on the main ring" (please explain how he can check this) and that he wants to swap it for a single or double socket.
It doesn't really matter whether or not the FCU is 'on the ring' (if it is a ring)- all that matters is that it has been installed in an acceptable/compliant fashion (which, in practice, means that it has appropriate cable and is not 'a spur off an (unfused) spur'. Even if the FCU is a spur from a ring, changing it to one single or double socket would be acceptable.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back