13a or 16a required for this oven?

NHW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so the oven that im looking at is the Samsung NV7B5750TAK

https://www.samsung.com/uk/cooking-...-steam-5series-dual-cook-flex-nv7b5750tak-u4/

On the first product review someone says "Everything you need in one compact oven - and works on a 13a plug too!"

But i cannot figure out if according to the manufacturers instructions if it is recommended to be hardwired? as it says on the official instruction manual for the oven:

"Plug the oven into an electrical socket"

which im assuming that their recommended instruction is to plug it into a normal 13a plug socket?

Screenshot 2023-05-16 133656.png

Sponsored Links
The write upon the Samsung website is rather confusing, says works of 13A plug but

Power/Ratings​

• Power Source230-240 V ~ 50 Hz

• Output Power3650-3950 W
  • Energy Efficiency ClassA+

• Oven Temp. Ranges (Single)30~250 (Grill 100~270)
  • Oven Temp. Ranges (Upper, Lower)40~250 °C

• Oven Temp. Ranges (Twin)40~250 °C
Personally I think that is too much for a 13A socket unless it cannot be used at the maximum quoted but as I said a bit confusing. Perhaps someone else may be able to explain it.

The write upon the Samsung website is rather confusing, says works of 13A plug but

Power/Ratings​

• Power Source230-240 V ~ 50 Hz

• Output Power3650-3950 W
  • Energy Efficiency ClassA+

• Oven Temp. Ranges (Single)30~250 (Grill 100~270)
  • Oven Temp. Ranges (Upper, Lower)40~250 °C

• Oven Temp. Ranges (Twin)40~250 °C
Personally I think that is too much for a 13A socket unless it cannot be used at the maximum quoted but as I said a bit confusing. Perhaps someone else may be able to explain it.

Exactly, normally ive read that double ovens are 16a and hardwired.

But im just worried that if i buy it, then something goes wrong. The fact that I havent followed the manufacturers instructions means that warranty will be void. Even though like you said the manufacturers official instructions have made it very unclear.

Or maybe because it is a new efficient type of oven that it draws less power? totally plucking that out of thin air as i know nothing about electrics lol but just thought that might be a plausible reason?

In the UK, if it can be plugged in to a normal socket, then it should come with a moulded plug attached - a pretty good indicator.

Sponsored Links
A first look suggests the 3900W is the combination of the convection, upper and lower grills altogether - a combination that may not be possible (or desirable!) all at the same time!
Some further investigation may be necessary...

A first look suggests the 3900W is the combination of the convection, upper and lower grills altogether - a combination that may not be possible (or desirable!) all at the same time! ... Some further investigation may be necessary...
Indeed, not to mention 'diversity', even if everything can be 'switched on' simultaneously.

There are after all, some induction (and maybe other) hobs with 'intelligent controllers' that can be used with a 13A plug.

Kind Regards, John

I have found myself in a similar situation in the past and decided to err on the side of caution.

I am not an electrician and so decided to run 2.5mm T&E to a 2 MCB enclosure and then fitted a 16A MCB and a blanking plate and a suitably rated flex down to the oven.

I was aware that diversity meant that 13 amps might be OK but I didn't want my mum phoning me up on Christmas day, complaining that the 13A plug behind the oven had blown its fuse.

A tenner for the 2 mcb enclosure and the 16A MCB, well worth the piece of mind. I fitted the enclosure in the unit above the oven. Previously the kitchen fitter had just used a plug behind the oven.

I am not an electrician and so decided to run 2.5mm T&E to a 2 MCB enclosure and then fitted a 16A MCB and a blanking plate and a suitably rated flex down to the oven. .... I was aware that diversity meant that 13 amps might be OK but I didn't want my mum phoning me up on Christmas day, complaining that the 13A plug behind the oven had blown its fuse.
In reality, of course, there is virtually no difference. It takes about 23A continuously for 1 hour to trip a B16 MCB, and about 22A continuously for a 13A BS1362 fuse to ever blow.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back