14 yo girl electrocuted trying to charge mobile in bath

Best place for me as a youngster was Job Stocks in St Marys Road, Walthamstow, Ex army surplus equipment from new fangled semi conductor diodes to aircraft borne navigation aids.
Too far east for me, but sounds like Z&I Aero - always a propeller or two, lots of aircraft instruments and other parts, but also a lot of communications and other electronic stuff. I used to get aircraft prop pitch motors and cowl gill motors from there to use to turn my aerial masts/poles (usually ali scaffold poles!).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
The more recent '3m rule' suggests that they are trying to avoid a situation in which an appliance plugged into a socket can 'reach' to a bath or shower, which makes some sense.
They should see how long the flexes are on some of my corded tools...

They should see how long the flexes are on some of my corded tools...
Same here, but ~2m seems to be pretty standard for most small consumer appliances, so (without extension leads!) the '3m rule' ought to keep them well away from the bath/shower.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
But those flexes often get replaced, at least in this house, because on a scale of one to stupid, 2m ones do not score well.

Anyone who's really that determined to use some device in or close to the bathtub will just use an extension lead anyway, and that introduces another plug/socket combination into the bathroom which could be subject to damp or immersion. And if there's no outlet in the bathroom, the next nearest one in a bedroom or hallway will be used. There comes a point at which you can't guard against stupidity, and attempts to do so by trying to cover every eventuality can then hinder the sensible.

Not for power tools, I agree, but generally OK for hair driers etc. etc.
No - generally not.

Hair driers? Consider somebody say, 1.75m tall, using the drier standing up, who wants to raise it above the top of their head and angle it downwards. How far from the socket can they stray and be able to do that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back