14 yo girl electrocuted trying to charge mobile in bath

Sponsored Links
Moscow Russia is outside the UK last time I looked, has it moved or is this in wrong section?

If we had metal baths which are earthed and no RCD then I suppose it could happen. The report seems to blame no sockets in bathroom for her doing this? Maybe in Moldova where she comes from they have sockets in the bathroom? I do see the point a power supply built into the plug could not end up in the bath if the socket is mounted on the wall. Only using an extension lead could it end up in the bath.

Are you saying because of this we should fit sockets in the bathroom, I don't really think that is a good idea. As to why anyone would want to charge a phone in the bath I don't know.

I don't think having a socket in the bathroom would have saved her. If she wanted to use the phone while in the bath she would still have used the extension lead.

Sponsored Links
I don't think having a socket in the bathroom would have saved her. If she wanted to use the phone while in the bath she would still have used the extension lead.
I suppose eric's point is that if there had been a wall socket close enough to the bath (with the charger plugged into it), the only cable going to the phone/bath would have been one carrying only 5V.

Kind Regards, John

There is no Death or Blinky any more, the inverter has died.

I am sure if I crawl through the papers there are reports of deaths abroad galore from electrical items, but I have no idea of Russian standards and really it does not interest me what happens to silly girls who try charging a phone in the bathroom. If due to something likely to happen in the UK then OK. But this should be in electrics non UK.

... it does not interest me what happens to silly girls who try charging a phone in the bathroom. If due to something likely to happen in the UK then OK.
Bernard seems to believe that there is a significant chance of live electrical equipment being dropped into a bath (full of water and a person) in the UK.

Kind Regards, John

I suppose eric's point is that if there had been a wall socket close enough to the bath (with the charger plugged into it), the only cable going to the phone/bath would have been one carrying only 5V.

Kind Regards, John
Exactly and the provision of shaver sockets in a bathroom will stop people using an extension cable to shave. But I find my beard trimmer takes more than 200 mA so if I want to do it over the sink then need an extension lead, however I find the hairs block the sink so better doing it over a bin.

Sad, but it highlights the ridiculousness of some of the younger generation today who seem unable to grasp the idea that they really don't have to be in touch by voice or text messages every waking moment, and that the world won't end if they catch up on a message later.

Although some of the poorer chargers can have considerable capacitive leakage from the supply, certainly enough that I wouldn't want it in water with me. Not to mention if it was a really bad charger with a good chance of complete breakdown from supply to output.

On the general sockets-in-bathrooms issue, I have no idea specifically about Russia or Moldova, but most of the world seems to get along just fine with sockets in bathrooms, the U.K. & Ireland being the notable exceptions. Here in the U.S. the National Electrical Code actualy requires at least one receptacle in a bathroom, with GFCI protection specified since 1975.

I do wonder why the IEE Wiring Regs. banned bathrooms sockets in 1955. Had there been any specific incidents which prompted it, or did it just "seem like a good idea" at the time?

.... most of the world seems to get along just fine with sockets in bathrooms, the U.K. & Ireland being the notable exceptions. Here in the U.S. the National Electrical Code actualy requires at least one receptacle in a bathroom, with GFCI protection specified since 1975. ... I do wonder why the IEE Wiring Regs. banned bathrooms sockets in 1955. Had there been any specific incidents which prompted it, or did it just "seem like a good idea" at the time?
No idea - but I would suspect the latter. The more recent '3m rule' suggests that they are trying to avoid a situation in which an appliance plugged into a socket can 'reach' to a bath or shower, which makes some sense.

Whether all the other countries (including the US) have an appreciable number of 'incidents' attributable to sockets being in bathrooms, I have no idea. Amidst all the ignorance and misconceptions (about things electrical) amongst the general public, I think that a fairly high proportion probably recognise the potential danger of 'mixing electricity and water' - so perhaps few of them attempt anything too silly.

Kind Regards, John

I have exactly no sympathy, and electrical safety should not have to account for stupidity. A 14 year old should have more common sense than that. I see the comments on that news article seem to agree.

I'll probably die from electrocution tomorrow for saying that...

It's those damn mobile phones again! I dream of a world where mobile phones are banned and my boss can't phone me on site to pester me while I'm working.

It's those damn mobile phones again! I dream of a world where mobile phones are banned and my boss can't phone me on site to pester me while I'm working.
I know the feeling! I am very old-fashioned, and generally only switch on my mobile if I want to make a call, or if I am wanting/expecting to receive a call I want!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back