14 yo girl electrocuted trying to charge mobile in bath

No, it's a sign that they've grown up with such bad design and accept it as normal, whereas you (and I) grew up in an era when things were actually designed with the user in mind!
That's another interpretation - and the one I would favour!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am "getting very old"!
I have the same problem. Are you turning the phone horizontal to maximise the keyboard?
Indeed, but that's only a marginal improvement. I thought of taking a pencil sharpener to my fingers, but decided against it.
Doesn't it have voice-to-text?
Quite possibly - I haven't really got a clue. The saving grace is that most people I want to communicate with get their e-mails on their smartphones - so I just send them e-mails, using a proper computer and keyboard!

I would suspect that e-mails might eventually displace SMS - no tiny character limit (no need for it) and seemingly much more reliable (I've known text messages to be delayed by hours - something which is very rare {albeit not unknown}) with e-mails).

Kind Regards, John

Yes, some people believe that text messages (and faxes, if you remember them!) are instantaneous, but I've known them be delayed by up to a couple of days.

Sponsored Links
Yes, some people believe that text messages (and faxes, if you remember them!) are instantaneous, but I've known them be delayed by up to a couple of days.
Certainly with text messages. However, I think that standard fax-to-fax fax message are (if they work, and if the line is not engaged) inevitably 'instantaneous', since the process involves real-time handshaking between the two machines. Of course, if the receiving machine repeatedly fails to answer ....!! However, in that scenario at least you know that the message has not got through. With text messages, you just send them and then hope!

Kind Regards, John

However, I think that standard fax-to-fax fax message are (if they work, and if the line is not engaged) inevitably 'instantaneous', since the process involves real-time handshaking between the two machines.
Certainly that's needed to establish a connection, but I don't think the transmission of the message involves handshaking, unlike telexes, which handshake after each character. And of course, the fax receiver's buffer might be full, or it might be out of paper, or the image might be corrupted...

Certainly that's needed to establish a connection, but I don't think the transmission of the message involves handshaking, unlike telexes, which handshake after each character. And of course, the fax receiver's buffer might be full, or it might be out of paper, or the image might be corrupted...
As far as I am aware, there is an exchange of 'success' (or otherwise) at the end of a fax transmission. When it had anything to do, my fax machine certainly used to send me messages after an apparently completed transmission saying something along the lines of "satisfactory receipt not confirmed by receiving machine'.

Kind Regards, John

my fax machine certainly used to send me messages after an apparently completed transmission saying something along the lines of "satisfactory receipt not confirmed by receiving machine'.
I believe that was only a reference to the message 'header and footer', not to its content. It was certainly possible to get a 'successful transmission' confirmation when no scan had taken place, so nothing was actually transmitted.

Can't you get 'little sticks' (technical term) to tap the keyboard?
One could. One can even buy custom devices to do that (but I'd probably lose them). However, as I said, I general adopt methods of sending 'written' messages to smartphones that only require use of a 'proper keyboard'!

Kind Regards, John

I believe that was only a reference to the message 'header and footer', not to its content. It was certainly possible to get a 'successful transmission' confirmation when no scan had taken place, so nothing was actually transmitted.
Possibly - I never understood at that level of detail. Maybe PBC knows more?

Kind Regards, John

So, the only thing we can deduce from the CE mark is - if it's not formed correctly, the item is definitely fraudulent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back