14 yo girl electrocuted trying to charge mobile in bath

Sponsored Links
I know the feeling! I am very old-fashioned, and generally only switch on my mobile if I want to make a call, or if I am wanting/expecting to receive a call I want!
I'm certainly not one of those who would ever consider using one all the time for everything. I find most of the newer types of very poor design, and just have a very basic one with decent size buttons and no fancy features. I take it in the car when I go out, just in case of emergencies, but I switch it off as soon as I arrive home and it stays off until the next trip out. It gets used so little that it's on a $3 per month for up to 30 minutes plan, and I've never exceeded that monthly limit yet.

My wife, step-daughter, and in-laws are the only people who have the number - I never give it out to anyone else since I have neither the need nor the desire to try and deal with non-urgent matters when out and about.

Whether all the other countries (including the US) have an appreciable number of 'incidents' attributable to sockets being in bathrooms, I have no idea.
If they had, I suspect something would have been done about it by now. I just don't think it's the horrendous safety problem that many people in Britain seem to believe, assuming that the socket is sensibly located and somebody doesn't do something incredibly silly, like trying to use a hair dryer while actually in the bath. Although here in the U.S. all the hair dryers on sale now come fitted with ALCI plugs (Appliance Leakage Circuit Interrupter - basically a combination GFCI/plug) anyway.

the only cable going to the phone/bath would have been one carrying only 5V.
5 volts between the cores of the cable, the cores could be 230 volts above ground

Bernard seems to believe that there is a significant chance of live electrical equipment being dropped into a bath (full of water and a person) in the UK.
Bernard has seen reports and incidents over the years of portable appliances used in bathrooms. A few included mention of appliances in the bath water.

what happened to freddo
The name change or the inappropriate post?

I'm certainly not one of those who would ever consider using one all the time for everything. I find most of the newer types of very poor design, and just have a very basic one with decent size buttons and no fancy features...
My current mobile phone is 11 years old, no fancy features there...

Sponsored Links
Fredo, why the name change?

And John, how do you get your work if your phone is off most of the time?

Kind regards

Andy

I'm certainly not one of those who would ever consider using one all the time for everything. ... I take it in the car when I go out, just in case of emergencies, but I switch it off as soon as I arrive home and it stays off until the next trip out. My wife, step-daughter, and in-laws are the only people who have the number - I never give it out to anyone else since I have neither the need nor the desire to try and deal with non-urgent matters when out and about.
Yes, I exaggerated slightly in what I wrote and, in reality, what I do is almost exactly the same as you describe. If I am 'out and moving', I try to remember to take it with me and switch it on - but, like you, close family members are the only ones who know the number, so it virtually never rings. Beyond that, it's as I described - I switch it on if I want/need to make a call, or send a text, or if I have reason to be expecting an incoming one. That clearly puts you and me in a very small minority these days!
Whether all the other countries (including the US) have an appreciable number of 'incidents' attributable to sockets being in bathrooms, I have no idea.
If they had, I suspect something would have been done about it by now. I just don't think it's the horrendous safety problem that many people in Britain seem to believe, assuming that the socket is sensibly located and somebody doesn't do something incredibly silly, like trying to use a hair dryer while actually in the bath.
Yes, that's all probably correct. One problem, of course, is that a very small number of people do do very silly things, such as you describe. As always, one has to decide to what extent one has to try to 'idiot-proof' everything.

Kind Regards, John

the only cable going to the phone/bath would have been one carrying only 5V.
5 volts between the cores of the cable, the cores could be 230 volts above ground
Yes, but you're now adding in addition (pretty rare) faults. You know exactly what I meant - if you had to choose between handling, whilst in a bath, the input or output of a 230V->5V PSU, I presume there is little doubt as to which you would choose!
Bernard has seen reports and incidents over the years of portable appliances used in bathrooms. A few included mention of appliances in the bath water.
No-one has ever denied that it can happen (hence almost certainly has happened). Our discussions are always about relative risk - i.e. whether that (extremely rare) occurrence is more or less probable than (again very rare) someone touching an earthed bath at the same time as a faulty appliance (e.g. the infamous frayed cable of a vacuum cleaner being used in the bathroom).

Kind Regards, John

And John, how do you get your work if your phone is off most of the time?
Maybe that question says something about you age since no-one would have dreamed of asking it 30 years ago :) My work is primarily home/office based, so that's where I usually am, and I have a landline! If I'm 'away from base', I have remote access to my (landline) voicemail, so rarely miss anything important for very long. Furthermore, everyone I normally work with knows that e-mail is by far the best (and usually pretty 'instant') way of attracting my attention!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
My current mobile phone is 11 years old, no fancy features there...
Mine won't even send SMS messages, not that I want to. I refuse to try and compose messages on a silly little keyboard with multiple presses for each letter, and have no reason to want to.

Maybe that question says something about you age since no-one would have dreamed of asking it 30 years ago
Indeed! Mobile calls then were reserved for big business and really urgent matters. They're far too cheap now, if you ask me, and that's really encouraged overuse of mobile phones and contributed to the stupidity that some people seem to exhibit with them. I'm thinking of the guy I nearly flattened in Raley's parking lot a few weeks ago when - apparently completely oblivious to everything going on around him because he was so busy staring at his screen - he stepped right out in front of me.

I refuse to try and compose messages on a silly little keyboard with multiple presses for each letter, and have no reason to want to.
Mine has voice to text, so I can dictate a text message. I resisted having a smartphone for decades, but wouldn't be without it now.

Mine has voice to text, so I can dictate a text message. I resisted having a smartphone for decades, but wouldn't be without it now.
I, too, have been resisting a smartphone for as long as I could. However, at the end of last year, I was forced to replace my (12+ year-old) mobile because it was literally falling apart - and I found it next-to-impossible to get a non-smartphone at a sensible price. I am therefore, much to my disgust, now the 'proud' owner of a smartphone - but in the 2-3 months I've had it, I've yet to use any 'smart' features and have only had a couple of brief voice calls, and exchanged a very small number of text messages. The tiny keys, needing multiple keystrokes, on my old phone were bad. However, the on-screen keyboard on my new one, with which one of my fingers hits four of more keys at once, is not really a discernible improvement! My offspring assure me that all this is a sign that I am "getting very old"!

Kind Regards, John

My offspring assure me that all this is a sign that I am "getting very old"!
No, it's a sign that they've grown up with such bad design and accept it as normal, whereas you (and I) grew up in an era when things were actually designed with the user in mind!

I am "getting very old"!
I have the same problem. Are you turning the phone horizontal to maximise the keyboard? Doesn't it have voice-to-text?
I bought mine shortly before retiring, as the company phone (Nokia 3109, not even a camera) had to be surrendered to them. Went for a Moto G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back