14mm Engineered oak Flooring - different shades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I trust someone could shed some light on this.

I recently bought some 14mm Engineered oak Flooring from a shop and was planning to fit them this weekend. I saw the sample laid out in the shop which was lovely and exactly the shade I wanted a very pale honey (golden) colour.

When I got home and opened the boxes, there are 5 different lengths in the box which I can live with but the shade goes from light to chocolate dark. I phoned the shop and they told me that this is how it comes and I told them no - I check the sample you have laid out in the shop and there is no dark planks laid out. The answer was then the fitter knows how to fit it and I am not a professional. The told me that the fitter will opened several boxes at a time.
Point taken but I am the one to live with it and I do not want a dark floor. I am now told the salesman who spoke to me is on leave till saturday and to come in then. I do remember that they charge a 20% for restocking. I do not want to fit something that I know I am not happy with - can anyone tell me what are my options as I would like to return the floor and take something else.

More importantly, Is it normal to have approximately 7 - 8 shades in 1 box, that covers 1.52sqm. the planks ranged from 30cm to 90cm in lengths.

The floor is to be fitted in a 3.8m x 4.1m room.

Is there a legal body I can use as a last resort, I just want to be prepared if they refuse to sort it amicably.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your first action is to ask for a full refund as the items supplied are not fit for purpose

TRADA is the Timber Research And Development Association

and have a very helpful attitude.

TRADA
Stocking Lane
Hughenden Valley
High Wycombe
HP14 4ND
UK

t: +44 (0)1494 569600
e: [email protected]

Our offices are open 9:00 – 17:00 GMT Monday to Friday, except UK bank holidays and between Christmas and New Year.

Technical Telephone enquiries
t +44 (0)1494 569601

e [email protected]
(Please include your full contact details

If the goods are not as they were described to you, you have the right to return them for a refund under the Sale of Goods Act.

Tell the shop this. If they won't agree, contact your local Trading Standards department, who should point out the law to them.

Cheers
Richard

Thank you so much Bernardgreen and geraldthehamster

Do you happen to know if it's normal to have 7 -8 different shades in one pack?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you so much Bernardgreen and geraldthehamster

Do you happen to know if it's normal to have 7 -8 different shades in one pack?

Thanks

I have no idea. Probably. But if they only showed you boards of the same shade, and there's no indication from an illustration on the outside of the pack that they vary, and no printed statement like "shades may vary", then that's not how they were described to you.

Cheers
Richard

As I understand it, because it is a natural product, they can't guarantee that all will be the same. Having said that, any decent shop would have a good sample showing the various shades.

I have also had the various lengths problem before which caused hassle as I like to line up all the joints which is difficult with varying lengths.

Another problem I had was that I saved a couple of boxes which were over towards doing another room in a few months time. When I finally ordered the new batch to complete the job, the manufacturer had changed the T&G profile.

For my bathroom floor I bought 12mm thick white oak planks 300 mm wide and 2.4 metre long from a timber merchant. Coming from the same batch ensured they were all the same colour and grain pattern. They are laid on a 12 mm marine ply floor.

Rather than engineer the edges they are butt jointed and lightly tacked to the marine ply. So far after a year they are still looking good with no gaps.

These are the variances in shade
The one I wanted is teh longest plank in Image 1, which has a lighter shade. The darker planks are like Image 4

View media item 86998 View media item 86999 View media item 87000 View media item 87001 View media item 87002 View media item 87003

Personally, I think that is unacceptable. It's as if they have collected up all the odd planks from around the factory and sent them to you. I would get the salesman in to have a look and see if they will change them without charging you for re-stocking. If he won't budge you could see where you stand with your consumer rights but I reckon there will be some sort of disclaimer in the contract due to the fact that it is a natural product. As a last resort, threaten to spread their company name far and wide on social media.

I have come across a few suppliers, mainly plumbing supplies shops that charge to 're-stock' but I just don't deal with them anymore. How difficult can it be to shove something back on a shelf for f*** sake?

This is exactly what I thought - that they've collected all the rejects in the factory.

I've spoken with CAB but as you mentioned there is a clause since it's a natural product but apparently there are something that they could do but first I need to see the salesman and shop manager tomorrow, then if unresolve go back to CAB.

Just what I didn't need before Christmas.....

I can understand your concern here, wood is however a natural product... obviously... and therefore variations will naturally occur. That said some of the better makes, offer a graded option to try to minimise variation. I guess the main issue here is probably that you have not received what you thought you were getting.

What type of wood is it, out of interest?

Remember if you are using natural wood then it will change shade as well when the sun is on it, it usually darkens with age I think. I know my floor (American walnut) has got darker.

I personally like the differences in shade.

Remember if you are using natural wood then it will change shade as well when the sun is on it, it usually darkens with age I think. I know my floor (American walnut) has got darker.

I personally like the differences in shade.

Do you want to buy 16 sq mtrs of it? :LOL: :LOL:

Totally unacceptable. Hope you got your money back without too much hassle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back