151 executed this year in highest recorded toll in nearly two decades

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At least 151 people have been put to death in Saudi Arabia so far this year –the highest recorded figure since 1995 – in an unprecedented wave of executions marking a grim new milestone in the Saudi Arabian authorities’ use of the death penalty, said Amnesty International.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
To be perfectly honest, I have always maintained that I am in favour of capital punishment, so some might question why I disagree with what is going on in Saudi Arabia.

To clarify, it is a matter of degree. In SA, people are beheaded for things that would never be condemned in this country or in any other civilised country for that matter.

In my opinion, capital punishment should be reserved ONLY for those convicted - beyond any doubt - of premeditated murder without any mitigation.

If that's the rules then so be it. 'Migrants from developing countries are most vulnerable because they lack knowledge'....bless them trying to make an honest living selling drugs.

And our spineless Government continue to be buddies with them. Beggars belief.....

And were they to stop cosying up to Saudi Arabia, we'd be in trouble cos we need the oil. See how long that government lasts. We have a history of dealing with dreadful regimes, or even propping them up as per the Shah of Iran, where we toppled a democratic government.

Saudi Arabia executes dissidents, and anyone they see as a threat to the regime. It's a disgusting place.

Saudi Arabia is not a disgusting place, nor are the people, Saudi Arabia doesn't execute anyone, it's the regime that is disgusting.

Well France only stopped using the guillotine in 1977.

The US STILL practice capital punishment, last year 35 people were put to death and there's around 3000 death row prisoners waiting to be executed according to wikipedia. The US has the highest homocide rate in the 'civilised world'... the 'civilised' world, so put things into perspective.

Saudi Arabia is not a disgusting place, nor are the people, Saudi Arabia doesn't execute anyone, it's the regime that is disgusting.
You're right. When we worked there some of the nicest people were the Bedouin who came in from the desert.
I remember once an old lady gave me a twig from her hair in gratitude for my help. I am assured that, for a poor person, it was indeed an act of gratitude.

On the other hand, the ones not to be trusted were the men in starched white thobes with gold pens in their pockets.

JB, I totally agree.
The poorest of Saudis almost embarrassed me with their generosity.
And yep, the Bedouin tribes are pretty awesome people, I was treated very, very well.

I think the meaning was quite clear when I said "Saudi Arabia executes dissidents, and anyone they see as a threat to the regime. It's a disgusting place.". And it is correct English to say for example "America executes many people each year".

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back