Sponsored Links
Just a wee tip for coring; put some PTFE tape on the arbour thread, you'll easily remove the core if & when required.

Honestly, the Silverline core looks as good as some more expensive ones.

the thought that someone could clone a 'Silverline' product!!

But if you think about it, they're the perfect ones to clone, as you won't be surprised when they go wrong. Actually, they may be cheap, but they're normally okay.

Depends on the core and whether you've glazed the segments. My £150 Marcrist 152mm easily cuts through plywood/flooring.

You'll need at least an 850 Watt core drill (with a good clutch so as not to break you wrists when the core jams).

Sponsored Links
I agree that the Silverline products are generally of adequate quality for general work and quite good value.

I seem to remember to get the diamonds exposed it used to be recommended to drill into a little soft brick, like London Stocks!

But as stated a diamond core over 50 mm does need a reasonably powered drill.

Tony

But as stated a diamond core over 50 mm does need a reasonably powered drill.

I have a 20 year old Wickes SDS drill, that's only 500 watts; it has a clutch, and works a treat on 112mm core bits - haven't tried anything larger yet.

Ooh, now that's optimism Dillalio. Have you been watching queationable web sites lately.

Big Update: My 18v Dewalt Cordless drill managed it when I drilled the hole on Thursday 19th - Only Just Though!

It took 2 charge cycles of my 3Ah Li-Ion battery, and I think the brushes on the drill may have had a hard time as there was a burning smell and fragments shooting out the drill vents at one point.

With the hole drilled out, with a bit of sanding/chiseling down the ridges left where I had drilled from both ends, the 156mm PVC pipe fitted through with a bit of a squeeze.

Drill still works fine though! :D

That seems a very expensive drill to spoil.

You can buy a cheap powerful 1000W SDS mains drill with safety clutch for £49.99 at Wickes !

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back