15mm flow/return straight out of boiler

quote="D_Hailsham";p="752732"]

It all depends on the total wattage of the radiators :!

Don't forget that the Betacom is a combi, so the size of the boiler is determined by the hot water requirement not the heating. You say it is a bed- sit, what hot water outlets do you have? A 30kW boiler seems excessive. Who suggested it?

i was under the impression that boiler sizing was a result of calculating the total kilowatt of all radiators?

WAS is the correct word. As said above: a combi is sized on hot water demand

Sponsored Links
[quote="bengasman";p="753054
WAS is the correct word. As said above: a combi is sized on hot water demand

errr yeah i `ve got that now Ben, whats an ABV?

Automatic By-pass Valve. If you have TRVs (Thermostatic Rad Valves) on the rads (radiators) then you need a by-pass to ensure a minimum flow can take place to dissipate heat from boiler.

The Betacom has an internal ABV, so no worries on that score.

I have just been reading //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112348

and in it there is a post from JaneKelly which reads:

JaneKelly said:
If you poke about up the cold feed and succeed in unblocking it where do you think all the water is going to go from your f&e tank?

all over you & the upstairs probably.

I would say leave all connected, poke around the cold outlet in your tank after fitting a hose to a drainoff on one of your downstairs radiators.
Open the drainoff & drain all in your system, your f&e will still be full if it`s a blocked cold feed.

If you get it unblocked this way you will know because the water in your f&e tank will make a loud gurgling noise & the water level will drop.
Sometimes its possible to clear it by just lightly tapping where the cold supply meets your heating pipe ( use a hammer but go easy!!).

Now, I may be getting old in the tooth, but I am mighty suspicious when someone who does not understand about combi boilers and pipe sizes etc can suddenly have all this knowledge about unblocking cold feeds.

Is JaneKelly talking from bitter experience or is it another windup to test everyone's knowledge?

Sponsored Links
I have just been reading //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=112348

Now, I may be getting old in the tooth, but I am mighty suspicious when someone who does not understand about combi boilers and pipe sizes etc can suddenly have all this knowledge about unblocking cold feeds.

Is JaneKelly talking from bitter experience or is it another windup to test everyone's knowledge?

back seat driver?

She does not sound like a typical woman!

She has also not bothered to explain anything about the system she has, is having installed or is going to install. She only asks questions!

So Jayne, could you explain your situation please? Is this an existing installation?

For someone who understands the finer points of unblocking cold feeds enough to advise others, you seem surprisingly vague when it comes to calculating boiler sizes.

Tony

Now I have researched the problem! These are all hypothetical problems because she is a trainee!

Look at this:-

[quote="hi-spec plumbing heating";p="752911

you can ask not a problem.
are you just interested, a plumber, or diyer etc

nice to know who your talking to. ;)

I`m a trainee plumber, my brother is a gas fitter & i sometimes go out on jobs with him, but he doesn`t have time to answer all my questions or he takes the mick, that`s why i`m here. Thanks.

I`m also slow at typing & editing.

Perhaps I am old fashioned but I do like people who are honest and straight and make it clear at the outset what their position really is.

I am normally happy to help trainees but now I will be less inclined to help her in future! Her brother has apparently got fed up with her too!

Tony

Well researched Tony and Hailsham. I also thought there was something odd about her line of questioning and manner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back