15mm or 22m for correct gas pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a couple of quotes for replacing an existing vented CH System S plan, going to pressurised system (not hot water ) either WB or Vaillent. 15kw. (system boiler or heat only.

last quote said that 15mm gas feed is OK so long as there is 16.5 operating pressure, is that correct figure please? no other gas appliances in the property (flat).
thanks

Sponsored Links
Not entirely. There must be a maximum pressure loss of 1mb between meter outlet and immediately before any appliance, when ALL are running.

Normally 22mm these days perhaps a short run of 15mm (metre or so) up the wall would be OK.
How can he know his working pressure until the new boiler is installed? The gas rate may be different to the existing one.
I would go for 22mm.

I have a 1 metre run from gas meter to boiler which was in 15mm since house was built when new boiler was fitted the instructions stated it should be 22mm. That meant destroying part of my kitchen to do that so the fitter agreed on 15mm and has been no issues.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, I suppose that I just assumed that there has to be 16.5 coming out of the gas pipe into the boiler but looks like not so simple. I know a bit about CH systems but nothing about gas pressure, I don't really want to pay for increasing the pipe size to 22mm unless I have to. I thought that 15kw is one of the smaller boilers so not so much gas required?

I have a 1 metre run from gas meter to boiler which was in 15mm since house was built when new boiler was fitted the instructions stated it should be 22mm. That meant destroying part of my kitchen to do that so the fitter agreed on 15mm and has been no issues.
There never would be an issue with 1 metre 15mm domestic run to a boiler

Even with 1 appliance if you have enough 22mm and elbows before, that 1m of 15mm could easily go over the edge! There's always a point where it goes over the limit.
Edit: although i read it as 1m of the run couldn't be changed, but it could be that the whole run is 1m long with no elbows?

Even with 1 appliance if you have enough 22mm and elbows before, that 1m of 15mm could easily go over the edge! There's always a point where it goes over the limit.
Edit: although i read it as 1m of the run couldn't be changed, but it could be that the whole run is 1m long with no elbows?
How many elbows you going to have on a 1 metre run!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back