16amp Cooker Install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, new to this forum and a Mechanical Engineer not an electrician. So be gentle.

I've been fitting a new Kitchen, and looking at the electrics before the new walls are fitted and plastered.

The previous oven was 13amp, where the new oven is 16amp (3,650 W)

http://www.siemens-home.co.uk/our-products/cooking/ovens/HB63AB551B.html?source=browse

Looking for some advise before I go any further.

The kitchen previously had an electric hob, which is now gas. So have a spare 10mm^2 cable coming from a 30amp fuse in the fusebox.

I don't believe a 16amp rated switch with fuse is available, so ..

Can I replace the 30amp with a 16amp fuse at the fuse box. Install a 20amp switch above the counter and hard wire the oven under the counter.

Any suggestions/advise would be much appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Can I replace the 30amp with a 16amp fuse at the fuse box.
You could do that or

connect the oven with 6mm² flex which is rated at more than that required for the 30A fuse (which is actually 41.4A).

Smaller flex would probably be sufficient but I doubt you have the necessary equipment to verify this.

Install a 20amp switch above the counter and hard wire the oven under the counter.
No need. It is just a switch. As long as the switch is rated for the required current (up to 45A???) it is fine.

Edit - I am assuming re-wireable fuse, could be cartridge.

Thanks for the reply, the reason i'd prefer a 20amp switch is it's smaller and nicer than the massive 45amp (or the ones I can find).

The only question I have to all this, What's protecting the oven?. The fuse in the fusebox protects the wiring (or that's the way I understand it), so what protects the oven?.

Alan

Thanks for the reply, the reason i'd prefer a 20amp switch is it's smaller and nicer than the massive 45amp (or the ones I can find).
Fair enough but then you must replace the fuse with a 15, 16 or 20A.

The only question I have to all this, What's protecting the oven?.
It does not need protecting.

The fuse in the fusebox protects the wiring (or that's the way I understand it)
Its purpose is to protect the fixed wiring from overload which cannot happen with an oven.

The 30A fuse will protect the fixed wiring and the oven's in the event of a short circuit or earth fault.

so what protects the oven?.
The oven does not need protecting as it cannot cause an overload.

Do you have rewirable or cartridge fuses?

Sponsored Links
Thank you, your help is much appreciated.

Do you have rewirable or cartridge fuses?

Believe it's cartridge fuse, you remove a ... cartridge which contains the fuse.

I've seen a MCB that you can retro fit, which might be best if i'm going down the 16amp route but will probably end up paying an electrician to replace the FB with a modern unit once house is finished.

I'll be asking more questions as the kitchen progresses. The previous installer has done some dodgy things (4 spurs from one socket for example). So trying to put things safe and right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back