16mm2 conductor terminals

A bit strong prhaps, but the tricky bit is new circuits are notifiable work, which afaict means if you want to remain legal you either have to use a registered electrician or tangle with building control.

Sponsored Links
Fault-finding is a slightly different matter.

The usual discussion is about 'in normal service' (rather than during fault-finding) and the argument is usually one of 'convenience'. However, my view is that if that one is having to make the 'trek' from outhouse to main house to reset an RCD often enough (i.e. more than 'once in a blue moon') for it to be a significant 'inconvenience', then one probably ought to be reviewing the electrical installation of the outhouse and/or what one is doing (and with what equipment) in the outhouse - particularly given that the trek' is often no more than a dozen paces or two!

Kind Regards, John
Yes you are correct.
Generally speaking an RCD trip in the feed to an outbuilding will only affect the outbuiding and generally the outbuilding will be occupied at the time of the trip.
Assuming that is the situation, the inconvenience of the RCD being in the house is not likely to be any different to the fault finding situation.
I was merely trying to add weight to the previous suggestion the convenient location for the RCD is generally in the outbuilding.

... I was merely trying to add weight to the previous suggestion the convenient location for the RCD is generally in the outbuilding.
Sure - but, as I said, unless the outbuilding's electrics are dodgy or one is doing dodgy things (and/or with dodgy equipment) in the outbuilding, that 'convenience' will only show itself 'once in a blue moon'. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any occasion on which something going on in one of my outbuildings resulted in an RCD (anywhere) tripping - if it's happened at all, it must have been a good few years ago (since my memory is still not all that bad :) ).

Kind Regards, John

Sure - but, as I said, unless the outbuilding's electrics are dodgy or one is doing dodgy things (and/or with dodgy equipment) in the outbuilding, that 'convenience' will only show itself 'once in a blue moon'. Off the top of my head, I can't recall any occasion on which something going on in one of my outbuildings resulted in an RCD (anywhere) tripping - if it's happened at all, it must have been a good few years ago (since my memory is still not all that bad :) ).

Kind Regards, John
Again I can only agree with you.

Sponsored Links
You can get porcelain connector blocks.

I find them a big larger then I would like to put inside a junction box on the wall

The henley blocks are quite chunky as well, so I'm leaning to crimps or din

16mm Thru crimps but you will ned sleeving and the correct crimper
Or Henley blocks

Yep, I'm leaning towards crimps and the crimper, pretty cost effective and compact. I'll add some heavy duty heat shrink sleeving and that should be it

It might be acceptable and possible to gland the armour into the wall of an earthed metal box and extend the inner cores and sheath onward through the house using conduit as extra mechanical protection to the inner sheath and cores.

Probably not easy if it is a long run inside the house but does avoid the need to joint the cores.

9635-180291760a1975466ba0fff93ec3e32b.jpg

Problem with that is the cost of the swa cable, nearly twice the T&E. I've around 30m run of T&E in total and 22m of SWA.

If it's going in a galve box I'd tend to go for din terminals.
Picked at random:
thumbnail_eB2lQM5RknNLFhc8YSfr2aHbn1fBQshkxpg97qUi.png
But maybe that's just because I'm a panel guy and would have had stock.

I'm trying to find a small enough weatherproof box to put din terminals, looks very neat.

If you do this and any part of the T&E is concealed in a wall or partition and not enclosed in metal conduit then you will be forced to have 30mA RCD protection at the origin of the cable. Whereas if you used SWA for the whole run you could have the 30mA RCD protection at the outbuilding. Depending on what exactly is being done in the outbuilding having the RCD protection locally may be highly desirable.

It will feed another small consumer unit with RCBOs, which then will feed the car charger and any possible additional things. Everything in the house that will feed this is already fitted with RCBOs

Explain this properly please.

I don't like these plastic terminals with screws, I've seen them getting loose with time, sparks coming out and burning. I had this in my house, then I replaced everything with wabo boxes and wago 221 connectors, now I can rope skipping with the wiring with zero maintenance.

You say henley blocks are chunky, you used to get single pole ones that were thinner, though not seen then for a while, Henley is a brand name, so maybe made by others

You say henley blocks are chunky, you used to get single pole ones that were thinner, though not seen then for a while, Henley is a brand name, so maybe made by others

They look chunky from what I've seen, so not something I could fit on a 100x100mm box I guess, but I'm happy to be proven wrong. I've checked a few options, all of them are quite large for what I need that is nust to connect 3x 16mm conductors to other 3x 16mm conductors

These are not as big but a pair may be:
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19287/connector-block-mains-5-way-60a/dp/PL09975
The earth wire:
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/19...k-4-way/dp/PL02041?CMP=CPC-ebooks-BIGBOOK2019
Or another option, something like one of these:
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...X7Ig_AUVFkv9LkPAmcolgIrOYEJb2jKYaAjCFEALw_wcB

It will feed another small consumer unit with RCBOs, which then will feed the car charger and any possible additional things. Everything in the house that will feed this is already fitted with RCBOs

In which case you don’t need RCBOs in the small CU.

I replaced everything with wago boxes and wago 221 connectors, now I can rope skipping with the wiring with zero maintenance.
Don't be so sure about that. I have had only two problems with wago's, never got to the bottom of one but the second was in a motor terminal housing, the motor had been replaced and the wiring didn't all reach so 2 wires extended, both were showing signs of overheating, one had burnt right through the wire.

Many of the maintenance free connectors depend on a spring pressing the connector's contact pad onto the wire. When the copper of the wire is clean and bright this does produce a reliable connection. If the copper strand(s) deforms under the pressure then the spring maintains the pressure. If deforming occurs in a screw connection then the screw needs to be tightened.

Where maintenance free connectors can fail is when the copper wire is tarnished or corroded. This non conducting coating reduces the area of contact with the pad on the connector which may result in over heating at the connectors rated current.

In a screw connector the rotating screw is pressing on the strand(s) and will abrade through the tarnish and in most case this creates a large contact area. ( doesn't apply when the connector is a screw cage connector as the screw does not touch the wire )

connect 3x 16mm conductors to other 3x 16mm conductors
Bare in mind the T+E Earth will be significally smaller, meaning crimps will be unsuitable for that, or was you planning aditional seperate 16mm Earth

I don't like these plastic terminals with screws, I've seen them getting loose with time, sparks coming out and burning.
The plastic has no bearing on the electrical connection, or the likelihood of terminal screws becoming loose. Virtually all electrical accessories etc. (including your CU) are full of (metal) screwed connections surrounded by some sort of 'plastic'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back