16mm2 conductor terminals

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm trying to find a good quality terminal to connect 16mm2 conductors. The ones I have found are those white plastic terminal blocks that just by looking at it may spark and catch fire. I'm used to wago connectors which are a wonder but I can't find anything above 6mm2. What do you guys use/recommend?

I'm getting a SWA cable across the garden, but inside the house I'm using T&E 16mm2, so hence the reason to connect the 2 together :)

Sponsored Links
Anything with a clamp then:
upload_2021-11-15_17-45-41.png

or how about a henley block?
https://www.toolstation.com/service-connector-block/p31284
https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/pro...xiW2NP24vD683-eES3hoC-AkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

16mm Thru crimps but you will ned sleeving and the correct crimper
Or Henley blocks

Sponsored Links
It might be acceptable and possible to gland the armour into the wall of an earthed metal box and extend the inner cores and sheath onward through the house using conduit as extra mechanical protection to the inner sheath and cores.

Probably not easy if it is a long run inside the house but does avoid the need to joint the cores.

9635-180291760a1975466ba0fff93ec3e32b.jpg

Last edited:
It might be acceptable and possible to gland the armour into the wall of an earthed metal box and extend the inner cores and sheath onward through the house using conduit as extra mechanical protection to the inner sheath and cores. Probably not easy if it is a long run inside the house but does avoid the need to joint the cores.
True, but, if it is 'a long run inside the house', as well as not necessarily being too 'easy', it would also be a quite expensive way of installing in-house wiring, just for the sake of avoiding one joint.

Kind Regards, John

Yep I have used Henleys inside a galv adaptable box for this purpose, good solid connections
If it's going in a galve box I'd tend to go for din terminals.
Picked at random:
thumbnail_eB2lQM5RknNLFhc8YSfr2aHbn1fBQshkxpg97qUi.png
But maybe that's just because I'm a panel guy and would have had stock.

I'm getting a SWA cable across the garden, but inside the house I'm using T&E 16mm2, so hence the reason to connect the 2 together :)
If you do this and any part of the T&E is concealed in a wall or partition and not enclosed in metal conduit then you will be forced to have 30mA RCD protection at the origin of the cable. Whereas if you used SWA for the whole run you could have the 30mA RCD protection at the outbuilding. Depending on what exactly is being done in the outbuilding having the RCD protection locally may be highly desirable.

If you do this and any part of the T&E is concealed in a wall or partition and not enclosed in metal conduit then you will be forced to have 30mA RCD protection at the origin of the cable. Whereas if you used SWA for the whole run you could have the 30mA RCD protection at the outbuilding. Depending on what exactly is being done in the outbuilding having the RCD protection locally may be highly desirable.
Excellent point.

"Preferable", perhaps, but is "highly desirable" somewhat of an over-statement?

Kind Regards, John
When I was faultfinging in an outbuilding I swapped the RCD in the house with the main switch in the outbuilding after the first trip. afterwards I restored them at customers request.

When I was faultfinging in an outbuilding I swapped the RCD in the house with the main switch in the outbuilding after the first trip. afterwards I restored them at customers request.
Fault-finding is a slightly different matter.

The usual discussion is about 'in normal service' (rather than during fault-finding) and the argument is usually one of 'convenience'. However, my view is that if that one is having to make the 'trek' from outhouse to main house to reset an RCD often enough (i.e. more than 'once in a blue moon') for it to be a significant 'inconvenience', then one probably ought to be reviewing the electrical installation of the outhouse and/or what one is doing (and with what equipment) in the outhouse - particularly given that the trek' is often no more than a dozen paces or two!

Kind Regards, John

I think “forced” is a bit strong. Conform with the so called regs perhaps. But they are not statutory anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back