17th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware of the new regs regarding wiring in walls being deeper than 50mm. Can anyone tell me if this applies only to new installations, new circuits, additions etc?

IE, if someone asks for a socket or light o be added to an existing circuit; does this mean ripping the room apart to install conduit in a partition wall?

In short, when would it be necessary (or not) to apply this regulation

Sponsored Links
http://www.gadsolutions.biz/electrical/regulations/17th-edition.html

One example is the requirement for cables concealed in a wall/partition at a depth of less than 50mm in domestic installations. Such cables will need to be protected by an RCD rated at 30mA or below, even if they are in a safe zone. This has implications for lighting circuits, which - under the still current 16th Edition - have no requirement for RCD protection. Note that both 16th and 17th Editions are run in parallel until full implementation on July 1st 2008, after which all new installations, alterations and additions designed on or after 2nd July will need to comply with the new requirements.
The only exception to this will be if the cables are enclosed in an earthed metallic covering / conduit or equivalent protection capable of resisting nails, screws etc.

IE, if someone asks for a socket or light o be added to an existing circuit; does this mean ripping the room apart to install conduit in a partition wall?
I suggest adding An RCD to the circuit, or even better swapping out the MCB with an RCBO (where available) may be a better solution than rewiring the circuit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back