17th edition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys/girls.

sorry to post this topic regarding the 17th edition however i have m exam next week and beginning to panic. have read the whole regs book and annotated areas felt i needed too. anyone got any advice for the exam? any areas of the regs i should pay special attention too? also what is the pass rate?

carlos

Sponsored Links
Relax - it's harder to fail than to pass!

Remember, you have all the answers with you.
Just be methodical in your approach and use the index.

Is it the full exam (60 questions) or update (30 questions)?

Dont panic, it really isnt difficult. As stated-use the index for any questions you are stuck on-its your best friend in this exam. And dont get fixated with one particular question-if you cant find the answer within a minute or so just flag it and move on. You can then return to this question later.

A good tip i was once given throughout my colllege days which i think is great advice is RTFQ (Read the f...... question).

Regards.

Do not reply on taking your own regs book into the exam.
They used to allow that and everybody had most of the answers written out inside.

When I did my (update) exam they provided everyone with "clean" copies for the exam.

Get some past paers and do them over and over. There are several sites to do online tests on the web. As long as you know your way around the red book you'll be fine.

Get to know the definitions section, Also remember this page number:

It is the Schedule of Inspections page from an Installation Cert.

It will give you a quick answer to quite a few questions especially the differences betwen basic & fault protection and a few others.

Read the questions carefully. The C&G are devious little b*ggrs....

Sponsored Links
I take it you are talking about the G&G2382 exam?
Also have a read through the on site guide as they can throw one or two questions about things like cable erection spacings in.
When I did the update exam we had a 2 day course first and we then took the books in fron the course with all the little stickys still in, I found that the order of questions seemed to coincide with the order of the regs in the book.
iirc the pass mark is relatively low, if you have done your homework you should sail through. I took about 35mins for 30qs- most of that was waiting for the computer to update to the next page!

Taylortwocities wrote:

Do not reply on taking your own regs book into the exam.
They used to allow that and everybody had most of the answers written out inside.

When I did my (update) exam they provided everyone with "clean" copies for the exam.

Did my 17th update last summer - they actually let you put 'post it notes' inside the regs book for 'fast finding' sections. I didnt bother as i saw it as a bit counter productive-some of the lads had that many post it notes in that it must have been harder to find the relevant section than looking in the index! :LOL:

Thanks very much for your replies.. i am no londer panicing as i now know i have a regs book to relate too!!! thanks also for everyones replys. i am taking the 30question exam as i completed 2360 5years ago.

thanks guys i shall post here of my results!

carloss

Concentrate on Chapter four and five that is where the bulk of the questions will be from. If you have read it over and over you will know where things are. You need to get your head round where to find things in these chapters as one subject can sound much like another in the questions and this is where the C&G question writers excel themselves in deviousness.

The guy running our course told us where to put yellow post it notes throughout the book. But I found in the mock that they were a distraction and took all of mine out.

If anyone says this exam is just looking up foma book and you don't need to know anything, they are wrong because a) there is not enough time and b) you need to be clear about the principle to navigate the book in the first place,.

Don't worry you will pass, I can tell because you are worried enough to put the study time in.

Martin

Read the questions carefully. The C&G are devious little b*ggrs....

Indeed they are. The one question I got wrong in the 60 Q exam was because it was worded confusingly. I did write to grumble, but was told the question in question was deemed acceptable.

In teh 2382 exam there is a pool of about a hundred questions and these are randomly provided to the candidates (in the proportions noted in the C&G's scheme plan).

In a couple they ask questions about something that is not defined in the definitions, nor can be found in the indexes. IIRC there's a question that is answered in the On Site Guide but isn't in the regs. That isn't really fair as the exam is specifically about BS7671 and not ancilliary guides.

At the exam centre there were OSGs should you need one, but at 2 minutes per question you don't have time for detailed research.
Run through and answer the ones you know and flag the ones you aren't sure about. Then answer any tricky ones in the remaining time (you should have plenty!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back