19 small(ish) holes in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a ceiling that I want to re-skim. It currently has 19 small spotlights in that I'm removing - the cut outs are about 25 to 30mm in diameter. I cant really reboard the ceiling due to coving, and it seems a bit overkill to screw wood batons and plasterboard into each one.

Do you reckon boding plaster would do to fill them, scrim over and reskim?......

Any other other ideas welcome.....

Sponsored Links
take a bit of plasterboard just big enough to poke through the hole. In the centre, run a bit of string through it. Butter inside the ceiling with some coving adhesive and using the string, manoeuvre the strip so it sits on the adhesive and can be settled in position. when it's dry you can fill it.

Good idea Tiger, thanks for the suggestion. Only problem is I need to get it done in one day as its for a mate and I'm travelling a long way to help em out, and deffo dont wanna travel there twice.

what about a strip of plasterboard that fits through the hole - use plasterboard screws to hold that either side (use string to pull it)
then a hole drilled into scrap plasterboard of the same size (the bit from the middle of a holesaw) and screw that onto the plasterboard strip ?

Sponsored Links
Using "liquid" plaster or even expanding foam this might work

upload_2020-1-16_7-50-43.png

no need for anything elaborate.
for 30mm holes then simply force up a blob of any kind of tub filler or semi-dry plaster powder.
as it sets, smooth it off, and as the ceiling is skimmed then tape over the holes.

Cut out plaster pieces with the correct size. Cut small timber batten, put over the hole. Pull down with looped string and secure with plast screw. Screw round board into hole. Fill with filler. Job done. Be done in a coupla hours or so.

There's a guy on youtube who does it like this:
Take a hole saw, that's larger that the hole (or the same size).
Take some plasterboard the same thickess as what's already there.
Use the hole saw and cut only part way through.
Turn over
Use a knife and cut the paper larger than the hole-saw cut
Snap off the excess
You're left with a puck of board with an oversized piece of paper still attached.
Smother in muck.
Oversized paper holds the puck in place and muck in combination with paper fills the gap
you're left over with only a small hole the size of the drill bit in the centre of the hole saw

Also works well for smashed holes in plaster boards - so long as you have a large enough hole saw!

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back