1950s upstairs window dpc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Recently moved into a 1950s detached house which is a renovation project.
All of the windows were replaced by the previous occupant with UPVC ones. The issue is that the upstairs upvc window appeared to be not sealed and all the plaster below the window had blown. I have removed the plaster and as the house is Brick built with a cavity removed the 3 layers of inner bricks below the window as these were soaking wet. I have now found that the concrete ledge under the window has a gap between the bricks and the ledge with what appears to be a corroded and rotted bitumen type DPC which has been allowing water ingress and soaking the bricks. As the gap is only a few mm and the house has now got upvc windows could I simply remove the DPC then fill both sides of the gap with high quality sealer or would it still require a DPC before relaying bricks and plastering
Thanks in advance
Dave

Sponsored Links
Does an upstairs window, or anything else upstairs, require a DPC? I was under the impression that damp is not going to rise above about a yard or so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back