1995 Fiat Punto possible electrical fault (lights)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. New Punto MK1 owner - well, new car owner altogether.
Anyhoo, noticed a rear brake light out today, bought the replacement bulb and removed the cluster. Problem is, the bulb was ok - seems like a wiring problem. First clue was a rolled up bit of fag packet holding the connector in place . So, after cleaning the contacts and checking over the terminal block, I tried the lights and it worked....until I tried to put it back on to the car. At that point, the indicator stopped working too, making a horrible clicking noise.
Took it off again, cleaned all connections/terminal. No joy. Had a bit of a fiddle and found that all lights worked IF the terminal block was only part way inserted ?!? Hence, I suppose, the fag packet I found in there. Replaced this with something more professional (blu-tac), and refitted.
Then the right hand brake light stopped working.
Removed the right cluster, had a look at all connections, removed and reconnected. Now NONE of the right hand lights work !
Please can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
sounds like it could be an earth fault when you move the light cluster. trace the wires back to the earth point and renew or put a new earth in.

Very common fault on Mk1 Puntos. I'm amazed at how many I have seen over the years with a brake light out.

Sounds to me like the connector is clearly at fault. Get a pair of long nose pliers and gently ever so slightlt twist the pins one at a time. this will force the contacts into lace better. Also dont try cleaning up the contacts where the bulbs sit as well (along with the bulbs). Again its worth bending the contacts back up so they push onto the bulb with more force.

Other then that you may need a new set of rear lights

i wouldnt suggest you need a new set of lights at all if they work when out of postion...

this stinks of either earth problem as mentioned before or loose cabling/connectors in the cluster,, ie when you put it back in it pulls connectors or whatever apart...

i take it fuses are not blowing anywhere?? if so then putting the cluster back in is shorting out when put back in,,

look deeply into the postion everything sits..

why replace something thats works ???? its a fualt only caused by the postion its been placed.

Sponsored Links
Just to update. All of the lights on the side which had a problem are now working. Sure it is a connector problem which I have now fixed.
Unfortunately, ALL of the lights on the other side, which were working previously, are now out.
I have noticed that there are a few 'non-standard' looking wires in there - the terminal block is not the only input - and I've got a feeling that someone has tried to loop the lights together in the past. Can anyone with a Punto tell me if there are separate yellow wires going into drilled holes in the light clusters? Doesn't look like it in the Haynes manual, and I think this may be the cause of my problem.

Just to update. All of the lights on the side which had a problem are now working. Sure it is a connector problem which I have now fixed.
Unfortunately, ALL of the lights on the other side, which were working previously, are now out.
I have noticed that there are a few 'non-standard' looking wires in there - the terminal block is not the only input - and I've got a feeling that someone has tried to loop the lights together in the past. Can anyone with a Punto tell me if there are separate yellow wires going into drilled holes in the light clusters? Doesn't look like it in the Haynes manual, and I think this may be the cause of my problem.

Have also checked fuses just in case - all ok.

Back