1998 ford courier 1.8 diesel starting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

iv recently just tried to start my van after a long time being stood.
it had a full engine build 1500 miles ago,
it is turning but not firing??
i have checked plugs and they are fine, fuel is coming out of the rack when turning over but not at high pressure.

does anyone have any ideas?

i appreciate any help
thanks

Sponsored Links
On the gearbox side of the cylinder head you'll see the fuel filter cartridge, complete with its priming button.
Push this button a good few times until you feel resistance and then give it another try. These pump heads are notorious for failure, too.
John :)

hi mate thanks for your reply!
my filter doesnt seem to have a primer iv looked everywhere! is it possible it is located elsewhere ?

Sorry mate I thought your van would have the Endura engine, fuel filter on the side of the block with a primer button.
If not, trace the fuel line back to the bulkhead, and maybe you'll see a rubber priming bulb there, that you squeeze by hand?
Seriously though I didn't think Ford used that type.
No matter - if there is no priming system (which is unfortunately common these days) you are relying on a bloomin' good battery. When I change a fuel filter I fill the thing up with diesel from a cream jug if its at all possible.

Sponsored Links
yes it ran like a dream, it had a full engine rebuild 1500 miles ago and was brilliant up until i tried to start it again after being parked up for a while

maybe worth changing the fuel filter and taking a look at the air filter but sounds odd. A squirt of easy start may help but thats a last resort.

If we can get the fuel up to the injector pump, it'll kick over fine.. :p
It could be worth while checking over the stop solenoid on the pump though....could be sticking maybe?

hi guys iv tried easy start but to no avail.
i will order a new fuel filter and try that the air filter is new anyway.
iv took of the rail and turned engine over but diesel was just dripping out rather than at pressure

Forgive me, but did this engine ever become a common rail type?
You couldn't post a pic of the injector area, could you?

sounds like a good idea lol
it will have to be tomorrow as the van is at the lock up and iv had a few cheeky lagers and cant drive
thanks for all your time and advice i hope you get chance to have a comment or 2 tommorrow when i get the photos up

Sponsored Links
Back