1Gang 2 Way Dimmer Switches

Hi

I was doing a "simple" replacement of a standard switch with a dimmer, and encountered the same problem that the box was not deep enough. It was going to be awkward to excavate further, and after some searching found that Wickes sell a 1 gang module Product Code: 204736, which is a plastic frame with a square hole in the middle. I had to enlarge the hole, but it then fitted perfectly between the switch and the box, and made a very neat job of allowing me to fit the switch.

They also make a double version.

It worked for me, but YMMV.

Sponsored Links
Do a proper job and change the backbox for a deeper one. Any other solution is going to be a botch, and it's not particularly difficult or expensive to patch up a little plaster and get some paint colour matched if you do make a bit of a mess.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. The wall was recently plastered and painted (light colour). To change to a deeper box will make a mess and I'm cr*p at plastering.

I'll end up putting a new backbox in and having to pay a plasterer and painter to redo the room - not an option.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately it's not that simple. The wall was recently plastered and painted (light colour). To change to a deeper box will make a mess and I'm cr*p at plastering.

I'll end up putting a new backbox in and having to pay a plasterer and painter to redo the room - not an option.

Ok, it's your call, although if you've just got the room looking perfect then it would be a shame to have the switch sticking out of the wall because it's too deep for the backbox. Alternatively a good electrician will be able to replace the box and make good for you, which will save bringing in multiple trades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back