1st time poster looking for small extension advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As above, I've been a long time lurker but now feel I need some advice.
I have planning permission to demolish the original poorly built front extension / porch arrangement and have it replaced in a similar style to several already completed on my street.

I have had approximately 7 quotes for the work and all different with a large difference between the lowest and most expensive, the lowest being 5-6k and the most expensive 20k, now I'm happy to write of both of those extremes and looking at the middle ground ish of 11k which does not include any electrical or internal plumbing work but does include a new composite front door and frame with glazed side panels.

I've posted a picture of my current extension and another in the style I would like the finished size is approx 2.5 X 2.5 metres, is it possible from this information I have given to determine that the price is reasonable, I am in East Yorkshire.

Current

photo.php

194027-93d17997ef0b0c59a977a64503d32e03.jpg

Proposed
photo.php

194032-e1ad587c2913a60ca7d5bdeb0e56bc0c.jpg

Best regards and thanks in anticipation.

Rich

Sponsored Links
£11k seems a lot to me, if just the outer shell. I guess green bricks are expensive :)

How can you just arbitrarily pick a middle price?

If all the builders are quoting for the same thing, for the same materials, to the same specification, then the lowest price is the price to pick unless there are some demonstrable differences to make you pick one builder over another.

Differences may include timescales, or quality (have you assessed that) and a factor for attitude and how a certain builder comes across, but not much else.

You are just as likely to get a crap builder whether he charges a lot or a little, so you need to be able to assess all of them on the same criteria.

Sponsored Links
I guarantee you will wish you had made it larger once it is finished, if 2.5m is the footprint, it will be very small inside.I'd extend out further if rear access and the window above are an issue. I'd even consider trading the rear access, making it wider and knocking through the back of the garage for that use instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back