2 4mm cables into one hole?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you get 2 4mm cables into a socket? there is not much room. Is there a knack?

Sponsored Links
I worked for someone that always told us to do 4mm radials for SOs instead of rings. I always suspected he was caught out by the NICEIC not being able to test rings.

OOI dingbat, what's your view on twisting smaller stranded conductors, e.g. those in 1.0-2.5sq mm flex?

Is it down to personal preference, or is there a sound technical reason to twist or not to twist?

Sponsored Links
Twisting can cause stresses in the copper and the cable could break. Untwisting is a pain when periodic inspecting..
The plus side is that twisting can give better readings

Hm. Are you assuming that I meant twisting more than one conductor together? If so then I didn't - I just meant twisting the strands on one conductor, with the aim of making insertion easier - it this good or bad practice, or doesn't it matter?

Softus said:
OOI dingbat, what's your view on twisting smaller stranded conductors, e.g. those in 1.0-2.5sq mm flex?

Is it down to personal preference, or is there a sound technical reason to twist or not to twist?

Do you mean twisting the strands of a single flex conductor to keep the whole bundle together? So long as you don't twist so tightly that strands break there is no problem. In fact, if you want to use push-fit connectors you need to twist to get the conductor rigid enough for insertion (ooh-er, missus!)

2 is dead easy????

Can you pop round my house please? :D

Have I bought the wrong socket front then because I cant fit 2 in properly never mind 3?

Thanks.

MK takes 3no. 4.0mm² conductors without a problem

All the sockets I have used (even volex!) will take 2no. 4.0mm² conductors

Yea just looked at them and they have no brand name on them I think they was made for B&Q. Have I had problems because the socket is only a single? Are the holes bigger in doubles?

No, but the holes are bigger in good quality brands - MK, MEM, Crabtree. The whole accessory is generally better quality.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back