30 amp rewirable fuse feeding radial with 4mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
possible to spur of this and im guessing u would have to spur off using 4mm cable, is there a limit on spurs? can u spur 2 sockets in series off a socket.

Sponsored Links
There's no such thing as a spur from a radial circuit, so yes, as long as you stick with 4mmsq (or other appropriately sized conductors for volt drop etc) then it's no problem to come off the radial to as many sockets as you like.

I should point out, though, that this isn't a series connection, as that would be a single conductor running into live of one socket, out of neutral and then into live on the next socket, out of neutral to the next socket, and so on. We don't wire things this way for (hopefully) obvious reasons.

Sponsored Links
I have questioned the use of 4mm cable on 32A radials many times as although clipped direct it has a ratting above 32A buried in a wall it does not. And although you may get two 6mm cables in some MK Logic state
Terminal capacity:
Live, neutral & earth
3 x 2.5mm2
3 x 4mm2
2 x 6mm2 (standard)
Many other makes you will find you can't get two 6mm cables to fit. Because most of the Ali-tube cable to BS 8436 is rated at 90 deg C not 70 deg C it does have a higher rating and I was surprised to see Table 4D5 does not have an equivalent for Ali-tube which since Ali-tube is made special for stud walls one would have expected it to have been included.

So 45 x 0.725 = 32.625 so no reason why Ali-tube 4mm cable clipped direct should not be used on a 32A fuse on a radial circuit. So nothing wrong with the BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) diagram although using 70 deg C twin and earth is another story.

I have questioned the use of 4mm cable on 32A radials many times as although clipped direct it has a ratting above 32A buried in a wall it does not.
And it does not have a rating of (30 ÷ 0.725) for any installation method.

I was surprised to see Table 4D5 does not have an equivalent for Ali-tube which since Ali-tube is made special for stud walls one would have expected it to have been included.
I'm not surprised - 4D5 is for BS6004 flat cable.

You need 4D2 for BS8436.

So 45 x 0.725 = 32.625 so no reason why Ali-tube 4mm cable clipped direct should not be used on a 32A fuse on a radial circuit. So nothing wrong with the BS 7671:2008, Corrigendum (July 2008) diagram although using 70 deg C twin and earth is another story.
See the warning note on any of the tables that have ratings for 90° cables - terminating them in accessories only rated for 70° is also another story.

There's no such thing as a spur from a radial circuit, so yes, as long as you stick with 4mmsq (or other appropriately sized conductors for volt drop etc) then it's no problem to come off the radial to as many sockets as you like.

There is such a thing as a spur from a radial ;)
When you use a 2.5mm cable to branch off a 4mm radial it is called a spur.
I am NOT suggesting the OP do this.

I have questioned the use of 4mm cable on 32A radials many times as although clipped direct it has a ratting above 32A buried in a wall it does not.

It depends on the thermal resistivity of the wall - method number 57 which is buried direct in masonary with a thermal resistivity not greater than 2K.m/W refers you back to method C which is the one for clipped direct, as does method number 58 which is the same as above but with added mech protection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back