2.5mm ring main jointing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,
I have screwed up and jig sawed through a 2.5mm twin and earth feeding my wall sockets.

I really do not want to replace the cable as it will be a real pig to do, I'd like to use a 30amp junction box to make a repair.

is this acceptable or is new cable the only solution?

Sponsored Links
You could use the joint box if you were to be able to gain access to it for the future.
Otherwise you should use a crimping tool, using the correct size lugs and install a compression joint within it's own little enclosure.

You could always fit a socket at the joint. There will be space inside the back box to hide any extensions you need to fit.

Sponsored Links
I have screwed up and jig sawed through a 2.5mm twin and earth feeding my wall sockets.
Where was the cable?

it was in a notch cut in a beam below some P5 i was replacing with real floorboards. i was using a circular saw depth set to just cut the boards but used the jig saw in a awkward spot.

the rest of the run of cable was in drilled holes...... i assumed they all were...... yeah, i know - assumption is the mother of all cock ups...

it's temporarily spliced in a screwfix supplied 30 amp HD junction box

Your best bet then if you can't replace the cable easily is probably to use crimps with a proper ratcheting crimp tool, either covered in heatshrink, or in some sort of enclosure, since it sounds like there's no way to make this joint accessible...

the rest of the run of cable was in drilled holes...... i assumed they all were...... yeah, i know - assumption is the mother of all cock ups...
So was the cable less than 50mm from the floor surface?

For future reference, 2" cable tray sits perfectly on mini-joist hangers. You can cut lengths of tray, nail hangers to the joists, and have the cables sitting on tray rather than dangling in the air.

don't forget to adjust the reference method though.. :LOL: ( yes I know.. free air / perforated tray is the same thing.. )

for the distance of 400mm repeated several times it's not worth the effort or cost to do it BAS..
might be a blinding job but totally un-necessary

So was the cable less than 50mm from the floor surface?

For future reference, 2" cable tray sits perfectly on mini-joist hangers. You can cut lengths of tray, nail hangers to the joists, and have the cables sitting on tray rather than dangling in the air.

oh yes, the cable was about 10mm below the board i was cutting at that point.

thanks for all the info guys, it's clarified things nicely. i'll hire a crimper from hss or my local hire shop if they have one.

You may as well just buy one, especially if you are planning on getting your jig saw out again.. ;)

You may as well just buy one, especially if you are planning on getting your jig saw out again.. ;)

nah, need to buy a new blade for the jigsaw first - the old one didn't like 230volts..................

thanks for the input ;)

If you snap the end off the old one will you be left with enough to just cut through flooring?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back