2 different ventilation options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Option 1 - remove double glazing in window, and re-fit with new glazing with hole for electric air vent. Fit airvent

Option 2 - core drill wall and fit new electric air vent.

Which would be the most expensive option? I was thinking core drilling the wall but have yet to get a quote back on what it would cost to remove and replace the glass.

What do you guys reckon ?

This is ventilation to an open plan lounge/kitchen (the existing trickle vents do not do enough)

Sponsored Links
I'd go for option 2. Hire a core drill and make the hole and then fit the fan. Get it checked by a sparkie of course. Also make provision to prevent rain tracking into the room via the hole.

I suspect getting a hole drilled in a double glazed unit will not be cheap, it may take some time and it may not match the existing. With option 2 you can do a lot of the work yourself in your own time.

Good luck

Pavarotti.

It's a property I'm renting. I think the glazing may end up being expensive but won't know until Monday coming.

The outside wall is rendered with peddle dash. If I was to go with the core drilling, do you have any concerns with this? What sort of provisons to prevent rain tracking?

I was hoping the fan could have a 3 pin added to it and then it plugged into a normal socket (there is one close by)

If I went with this say : http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...lent+Low+Voltage+Square+Extractor+Fan+/p31086

the walls are extremely thick. if the rigid pipe does not fit through the wall will I need a bendy/flexi pipe, is this ok?

also how do i know the diameter of that pipe in order to know what size hole to core drill without actually having to go into toolstation to measure it ?

Last edited:
Those fans all have a 100mm pipe, and the core drill is a bit bigger than that. (117 mm?)
If the supplied pipe isn't long enough just buy a longer bit. Don't use flexi stuff unless it actually has to go round a corner.
If you're considering paying a core drilling contractor to do it, they'll know what to do. If you're considering hiring a core drill yourself, ask here for more advice about how to do that neatly. Or search for old threads: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/core-drilling-for-extractor-fan.264116/
Is this a 3-foot-thick medieval stone wall?

Sponsored Links
Those fans all have a 100mm pipe, and the core drill is a bit bigger than that. (117 mm?)
If the supplied pipe isn't long enough just buy a longer bit. Don't use flexi stuff unless it actually has to go round a corner.
If you're considering paying a core drilling contractor to do it, they'll know what to do. If you're considering hiring a core drill yourself, ask here for more advice about how to do that neatly. Or search for old threads: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/core-drilling-for-extractor-fan.264116/
Is this a 3-foot-thick medieval stone wall?

Yes it's thick as fukc. I've drilled it myself on the other wall of the house for a 32mm waste. Drilled from outside - didn't use any special technique in-particular

Room size as follows - 4.5 x 3.5 x 2.25 = 39.38m3 x 15 = 590cm/ph. That fan doesn't do nearly enough

EDIT: That thread pretty much explained it. Although what do you reckon the cost on someone to do it?

Last edited:
I remember a thread where cost was discussed and someone said the charge was based in how much shorter the diamond drill is afterwards. You might find it if you search.

Is the building listed or in a conservation area?

Not listed but it is in a conservation area. I'm assuming what you're next going to say is I need to apply for conservation area consent.

I was going to say that fans in windows might be discouraged in listed buildings and conservation areas (they are here).
I'm unsure about the rules. Is it on the principal (front) elevation?

I was going to say that fans in windows might be discouraged in listed buildings and conservation areas (they are here).
I'm unsure about the rules. Is it on the principal (front) elevation?

It is.

I hired a kit at work and the wear charge was more than I could have boight the Mexco full kit for.

You might like to at least see if there are similar vents visible on other properties, see if there are published guidelines etc.

IMG_0053.jpg

That is from Edinburgh's listed building and conservation areas guidance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back