2 gang -> socket and separate appliance switch (not cooke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2 gang can mean different things, it seems, I'm talking with the full width of two standard single plates.

Is there such a thing? I'm having trouble finding anything that is not with a big red switch and "Cooker" on it and for 40 amp.

There are enough points in my mains ring in the kitchen. I want to replicate the standard used on my other appliances, which is to have a switch above the counter (preferably with a fuse) connected to a socket bellow (as this is less accessible for when you want to go on holiday, etc).

I can afford to sacrifice a socket on a 2 gang above where the dishwasher socket will be. There is dry wall beneath so that is not a problem. However I want to avoid cutting more of the tiles and making it more cluttered up above. So want to use the existing point rather than add another one. All I'm doing is transferring the socket bellow, it is not a separate spur.

So will I have to get a box that will allow me to screw in two plates flush (meh) or can I get a dual plate with this arrangement. Where can I buy it?

It seems so obvious, yet I've not found it anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What you want is a combined socket outlet and switched FCU. You can't get them :( :( :(

Every month or so someone pops up on here, asking for exactly the same thing, so you'd think manufacturers would pick up on this gap in the market.

You'll either need to fit a dual backbox, or use a 2G-sized Cooker Control Unit. (yes a big 45amp one) :(

Sorry!

Sorry I don't understand what youre trying to do.

Do you want to remove a twin socket mount it further down the wall and then fill the hole this leaves with an isolater?

I'm not sure why you mention the width of two single accesories. You do know this is wider than a twin socket front (or any other two gand accesory)?

Sorry I don't understand what youre trying to do.

Do you want to remove a twin socket mount it further down the wall and then fill the hole this leaves with an isolater?

I'm not sure why you mention the width of two single accesories. You do know this is wider than a twin socket front (or any other two gand accesory)?

He wants to replace a DSO with a 2G width accessory comprising a socket outlet and an isolator or S/FCU to feed a new under-worktop socket.

I think!

Sponsored Links
LoveRocket got it right. I think I will follow his advice if that is that case. Yes it is surprising. I found one product that could would work in chrome finish (not what I want), with limited info. It wouldn't be FCU, which I definitely want. Anyway no bother it is in the corner, not too obvious.

@RF Lighting, I only want to move one of the sockets down. But I want to be able to switch off/isolate the appliance from above.

Thanks for your help, and quick replies!

Yes I was just thinking how cluttered things are. On the other end I have this floor level fan heater from Dimplex, that I'll never use, as it smell horrible, but have no urgent need to remove it. It has three switch one for on/off and two settings. This is not a big yuppie kitchen.

It isn't likely to supplement the overall heating as that is not necessary, probably to demist I guess. I already have any extractor with a wall outlet though.

Dimplex is the the brand storage heater across the flat (no gas supply :/). I don't think the developer would have requested it, as they go for cheap, functional build. It might have been thrown in with the contact.

If you can live without the spur to the lower socket being fused and with a white metal plate then the get rocca modular system will work.

You'd need

2x GRL20DPPW
1x GRL13USPW
1x GRLS04GPW

Unfortunately not many suppliers seem to list those parts online (the only one my searches turned up was somewhere called "jales electrical" which I have never heard of before)

I thought you wanted a switch, a fuse and a socket outlet on a single 2-gang plate?

You don't need a fuse in the switch module. You're going to be feeding a socket with it, so there'll be a fuse in the plugtop of the appliance.

MKK0772.JPG

:?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back