2 layers laminate screwed down/no underlay...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all...
Have a small area in the kitchen that currently has floorboards exposed. now I know that your not supposed to lay ceramic tiles on laminate but my idea was to use all the excess laminate floor to create a hard surface (screw it to the floorboards) then do it again on top (2 layers). I wouldn't be using any underlay and the floor would be literally a 2 ply surface to cement the ceramics to. Reading some of these posts suggests that using laminate is still a bad idea. Why is this any different to using a thick ply? In essence I have created a rigid surface that wont flex.

Is this still bad?

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo newgen and welcome :D :D :D :D :D

laminate has a plastic coating that will stop the adhesive sticking
it will also stop it curing as the moisture will be trapped
and eventually when the moisture does dissipate around half will soak into the the laminate causing possible expansion movement lifting
and possibly enough moisture to cause the laminate to swell and disintegrate especially along the joints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back