2 lights controlled together by 2 switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 2 lights in the upstairs landing, with a switch downstairs and a switch in the hallway upstairs that would make the light fixtures turn on and off at the same time. Made the mistake of taking the pendant off before taking a picture. Would be grateful for some help. I have attached pictures of the wiring for both fixtures.
IMG_20191008_212520620.jpg
IMG_20191008_212314169.jpg

Sponsored Links
At a quess with the three
1 goes to the switch set up, likely the twin brown
1 is the main supply in
1 goes to the other light
But impossible to tell without some sort of onsite testing, likely with a continuity tester or multimeter

Can you trace the single cable in picture 1, and find out which one it is in picture 2?

If you can do that, the rest is easy.

Now you say it yes, the 3rd looks bigger and so does the one in the first pic

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the thickness of the wires itself, ive got a reel of 1.5mm with me and all 4 wires in both pictures seem this size as the wire on my reel, as I've just gone and put them next to one another.

Can you trace the single cable in picture 1, and find out which one it is in picture 2?

If you can do that, the rest is easy.

I can but I'll have to cut into the floorboards. I've tried all variations but I did manage to get both lights constantly on but they wouldn't switch off, 1 light working via the switches and 1 light constant on, no lights working.

Don't cut the floorboards.

Have you got a simple multimeter?

I haven't got one, but I might be able to trace the wire, as some of the dormer floorboards in the landing are cut where the single wire light is in the landing below and I can try and maybe find which it is

Unless you can identify which cable is the supply one (ie live all the time). It would be one of the brown and blue ones.

But again, you need a multimeter.

You see,
one cable is the supply, live and neutral.
one cable goes to the switch, this is likely to be the brown and brown.
one cable goes to the other light, live and neutral.

When we know this, it's simple.

A multimeter is the only safe way to do this properly.

I would have thought the two grey ones are loop-in and loop-out and the other is the permanent/switched live to the switch. Because that's what they look like.

So the 2-way must be in the switches.

Have a look in them. You can see the colours of the cores and the sheaths.

You can get a not-very-good multimeter at hardware or DIY stores, or places like Argos. The cheap ones tend to have poorly shielded probes so keep your fingers clear.

Rather than leave those cable ends hanging loose I would put them in chocblocks until you have sorted it and fitted your new ceiling rose. You can test them in chocblocks.

I would have thought the two grey ones are loop-in and loop-out and the other is the permanent/switched live to the switch. Because that's what they look like.

So the 2-way must be in the switches.

Have a look in them.

I don't think it's loop-in, loop-out - because the switches control two lights.

I thought the lights go on and off together?

I don't think you need to take any floorboards up, because I think the cable(s) are bound to come out in a lightswitch (or possibly the other ceiling rose)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back