2 pump's

Sponsored Links
think i may of grasp it! orange (240v) is wired on the magnet side of the relay? & low voltage is wired upto hte switch???

5times this is how a relay works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4X5umfNkQ&feature=related[/QUOTE]

A relay puts out what you put in, :confused:

I was kinda hoping that he (5times) could figure out what went where if he could understand how the relay worked. the 240v in is only to switch the relay, there would be low voltage connected to the other connections.

But the boiler would want volts free.

The make/model of the boiler would help.

5times this is how a relay works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz4X5umfNkQ&feature=related[/QUOTE]

A relay puts out what you put in, :confused:

I was kinda hoping that he (5times) could figure out what went where if he could understand how the relay worked. the 240v in is only to switch the relay, there would be low voltage connected to the other connections.

But the boiler would want volts free.

The make/model of the boiler would help.

if you connect 12v in to the relay you will get 12v out, the "coil" could be 240vac or 2vdc or what ever it takes to make the coil switch.

Sponsored Links
Got it, so here is how you can connect a Y plan up to a ch boiler that requires low voltage to pcb.. Wire all external controls upto 240v AC then as there would be 240v on the orange instead on wiring that upto the boiler and blowing the pcb wire the orange into the relay (magnet side to energise it) wire low volts out off pcb on the boiler into the switch side of the relay there for low volts coming out of relay back to boiler. ;) (i think)

the reason I wired my S plan up the way I did is because the Brown wire is only used to make the switch so when i wired low volts on the grey that would just put it straight on to the orange..

spot on mate, your 2 port is exactly the same principle as a relay, 240v to make the moter move that switchs the cables connected to the microswitch

thankyou pal you should be a teacher! easy when you have someone explain in a certin way. where can you buy a relay from?

since I still had paint open I did another sketch this is what you need to operate a voltfree switched boiler via y-plan
I have left out the pump ,earthing,etc for clarity

View media item 24901
oh and I've also left out the internal switch position on the cyl stat but that was just a mistake just imagine there's one there

Matt

What boiler would require volts free switching.
to be padantic none of them, in reality its more "not 230v switched live switching" ie provide a switch that closes this link dont put mains potential anywhere near,
if you get where i'm coming from, mind you I,m on the voddie now so maybe not explaining it very well!

You're doing a grand job matt1e, it's just that I don't know of one, and wondered if the question was actual or hypothetical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back