2 switches but 1 loose wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have removed the cover of a switch to strip some wooden cladding from behind it, but there is a wire that is not connected to anything and I need to know where it should go.

The switch has 2 switches, one switch goes to the light in one room and the other goes to the light in another room. This is the only switch for both rooms.

full

And this is the wiring at the moment
https://www.auctiva.com/hostedimage...1&images=961977271&formats=0&format=0&lgdin=1

The common terminals are linked. One wire has the copper, black and red and the other just has a red connected to the common.

Thanks you for your time

Sponsored Links
Thank you, which L2 please?
The one next to the black wire (which is in L1) or the L2 on the opposite side?
Thanks.

Ah.

On one side of the switch, com and L1 have been used, have they?

In which case, use the empty L1 on the other side of the switch.

If you find the switch or switches 'work upside down', simply swap whatever is in L1 to L2'.

Sponsored Links
And it works thank you. An electrician is coming round to do some work soon so my work will be checked.

Could you explain to me what is going on with the wires and switch?

All the wires at the switch are lives. No neutral there. One permanently live wire comes in feeding the com terminal on each switch.

Each switch will interupt each remaining wire - one wire goes to one light fitting, the other wire goes to the other fitting.

They work the correct way, don't know if the box is mounted upside down though? If that makes any difference.
Thanks for your help though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back