2 way dimmer for bedroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please confirm whether it is possible to have a set of spot lights on a two way lighting circuit such that one switch is a dimmer and the other a regular on/off switch or do they both need to be dimmers?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, are you sure you want spotlights in a bedroom? They aren't very pleasant things to look up to, and if (as is often the case) there's a loft above then you've got all the sealing issues to consider if they are recessed.

But you can have a 2-way dimmer and a 2-way switch. Bear in mind that if you turn them on with the switch they'll come on at whatever brightness the dimmer is set to, so if that's not the level you want you'll have to walk over to the dimmer. You might prefer a master/slave dimmer setup where you can control the dimming from either location.

Is the wiring any different in a master/slave setup or just the switches are configured differently?

From what you are saying, I can have a two rotary dials? I think as long as there is a dimmer near the bed the other can be a regular switch. Which to have setup as the master in that case or does it not matter?

It is usual to wire them as standard two way, placing a 2 way dimmer at which ever end you like. Having two dimmers gets complicated, having one dimmer is a straightforward swap.

Sponsored Links
Is the wiring any different in a master/slave setup
It's actually simpler.

or just the switches are configured differently?
They are different switches, designed to work together. You cannot put two normal 2-way dimmers in a 2-way switching arrangement.

From what you are saying, I can have a two rotary dials?
Yes.

I think as long as there is a dimmer near the bed the other can be a regular switch.
Fair enough.

Which to have setup as the master in that case or does it not matter?
Neither will be.

Master/slave dimmers are dimmer switches designed to work with 1 master and any number of slaves, so that you can have dimming control from each location.

A normal 2-way dimmer can only be paired with normal 2-way and intermediate switches, and will only give you dimming control from one location.

A "master" dimmer from a master/slave system will not work when paired with a normal 2-way switch, it is all or nothing.

Ok, so Im going to go to Wickes tonight. I simply ask for 1x 2-way dimmer and 1x 2way switch?
Well, once you've installed them you can always change to a master/slave system later if you decide you'd like dimming control from both locations.

Quite why Lectrician wants you to think that it's more complicated to install those than a 2-way dimmer and a 2-way switch I cannot begin to imagine.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back