2-Way Dimmer Switch: Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys and gals,
New here but may I say what a great forum!
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place and I have searched the site for similar problems but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have 2 light switches in my bedroom (one at the entrance to the room and one inside), both operating the same ceiling light.
I have bought a remote controlled Varilight Dimmer Switch for the master switch and a Varilight Slave Dimmer for the other switch.

I am fine changing normal switches/dimmers etc... but when I took the master switch cover off I was met with what I can only call a really confusing mass of wires.

I have attached a photo of the back of the switch and a photo of the back of the new dimmer switch. I have also marked on the photo which wires lead to where.

I would be so grateful if someone in the know could explain which wires go where on the new switch please?

Thank you all so much in advance.

Matt

Sponsored Links
That dimmer in the picture is one way you need two way dimmers for the installation you say you have.
Get two way master and slave units and copy the wires exactly as per manufactures instructions.

That dimmer in the picture is one way you need two way dimmers for the installation you say you have.

Thanks for your reply :) Much appreciated

It says on the packet 'One Way or 2 Way/Multiway with a Varilight slave switch' which i also have.

Sponsored Links
Yep, you're correct, never seen one before, click the link for a pdf of the instructions and the switches will need to be earthed.

http://www.varilight.co.uk/leaflets/touchremote712.pdf[/QUOTE]

Thanks again! :)

I actually do have the fitting diagram but it just doesn't seem to make sense with the wires that are in the original switch. ie/ I'm guessing I'm going to have to join some of the wires differently to how they are now? Is that correct?

Matt

Mark them before you remove them.

Thanks I will definitely do that, but what I'm really asking is, is there anyone that can tell me (from the pics I uploaded) which wires go where in the new dimmer?

Thanks again

Matt

Mark them before you remove them.

Thanks I will definitely do that, but what I'm really asking is, is there anyone that can tell me (from the pics I uploaded) which wires go where in the new dimmer?

Thanks again

Matt

You already have the answer. From your first picture, you have identified all of the conductors. You say you have the fitting instructions, but Holmslaw has provided them for you anyway.

Looking at your annotated picture and the fitting instruction in conjuction with each other is all you need.

To make things easier, might suggest a permanent marker pen, mark each cable in turn (I favour a series of dots) then take another photo where you can see the markings and then crack on with it....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back