2 way hall lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - this may sound a bit noddy but here goes! My daughter has recently moved into a house with hall lighting up and down stairs. She has to ensure that the upper switch is "on" then come down and switch the downstairs switch "on" before the light comes on - which is a pain when going up to bed for the night! A work colleague told me to change over "2 wires" in the switch but didn't say which wires! Any help will be gratefully receive - and end my daughter's stair aerobics at bedtime!
TIA
Jock

Sponsored Links
Two lights are supposed to work together from two switches, right?

Open up both switches and tell us what wires you have and what terminals they go to.

Its possible that your colleague is mistaken and the problem is a failed switch or damaged cabling.

Do you own a multimeter?

Adam, I have a multimeter (Old Avometer) and the wires in the switches are:
Lower: Common (Red), 1 Way (Yellow), 2 Way (Blue)
Upper: Common (Red), 1 Way (Yellow & Black), 2 Way (Blue & Red)

The upper switch has 2 extra wires (Red & Black) which disappear into the upper reaches of the loft. Hope this makes sense.
Regards
Jock

Sponsored Links
it sounds like its wired right.
BUT i am wondering downstairs, if they used the wrong red in the common

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back