2 way light switch hell(p)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm trying to replace the 2 way light switch at the top of my stairs. Not sure if it matters but the 2 switches control upstairs/downstairs landing lights, and in addition there is also a single switch outside of my bedroom that also controls the upstairs landing light. When I removed the existing switch I was bit surprised to find 2 individual switches, each with 4 terminals, top 2 marked 1 and 2, bottom 2 unmarked. New switch has L11, L12, L21, L22, COM1, COM2. So assume some wires will have to be combined to go down from 8 to 6.
First switch has red in left top/bottom terminals and blue in right top bottom. Second switch has brown in left top/bottom and black in right top/bottom. Can anyone please advise how to wire this into the new switch???
1000013153.jpg
1000013157.jpg

Sponsored Links
I suspect you need an intermediate 2 gang switch instead of what you bought. I believe they are available in the same range.

You have the wrong switch.

The new switch is a 2 gang 2 way.

At least one of the switches on your old 2 gang switch is an 'intermediate', and not 2 way.

You will be able to do this with a 2 gang switch that has intermediate switches.

It looks like your old switch is 'grid' system, which means you can replace the switch modules for different types of switch modules.

Grid systems are available in many makes and designs.

(Send a clearer picture of the back of the old switch, as it's hard to tell if there are two intermediate modules, or one intermediate module and one 2 way module.)

Thanks for the info, heres the 2 switches removed. So I essentially need to get the same thing again, just in the right style?
Just to say that none of the other switches in the house were like this...
1000013156.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well, they are both intermediate switch modules.

(Intermediate switches can be used for 2 way or 1 way operation as well, so intermediate ones will be fine.)

Your new 2 gang switch will not do the job.

Be careful to get intermediates, and NOT double pole ones, as they look similar to the untrained eye.

Thank you, is this the correct one, doesn't give a pic of the back unfortunately?

I think so.

It's confusing because they intermediate AND 2 way.

But since an intermediate can be used as a 2 way as well, I WOULD LIKE TO THINK it is a 2 gang intermediate.

So I can't be 100% certain.

On the RS Electrical Supplies site, they have a NPC2GINT which classed as intermediate only.

Is that the correct colour/design?

EDIT. No, that's polished chrome. Hang on...

You need the NBS2GINT. That's brushed steel. Available from RS Electrical Supplies, and other places.

And add an earth wire to the switch from the terminal in the backbox too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back