2 way light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have removed 2 2 way light switches in my kitchen to replace with new.
I wasn't able to label the wires connected to the original switch or see where they were connected becuase there was no slack on the wires.
Haven't a clue how the ever got it wired up.

Problem is that all the wires are red - 6 of them.
3 are for the dnd of 2 switches in the hall and the other 3 for the 1st set of 2 switches for the kitchen.

My problem is that now that i have them wired up, the switch for the hall light in the kitchen only works when the 1st switch for the hall is on.
Again the 2nd switch for the kitchen will only work if the first switch for the kitchen is at the on position.

Have i just connected the wrong connecting wire in the circuit to the C terminal on the switch.
ie the one for the hall is connected to the kitchen and vice versa?

I could just switch them and see but i aint at home at the minute and thought i'd ask some experts.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Well Im new here so I dont know... I just googled it and those pics came up. Quite good arent they?

Sponsored Links
Job_n_knock said:
Well Im new here so I dont know... I just googled it and those pics came up. Quite good arent they?
yeah, thought I am surprised that link hasn't been removed by the mods yet.

had a look at the diagram and got one of the 2 way double switches working as it should be.

The other one seems to be giving the same problem but i cant get it sussed.

Switch no. 1 turns the kitchen light on and off.

When switch no. 1 is at on position switch no. 2 is able to turn the light on and off.

When switch no. 1 is at the off position switch no. 2 does not do anything.

Where does my problem lie.

Using my voltmeter is there an easy way to tell which wire out of the 3 is the linked wire?

Any help is appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back