2 way Master Dimmer Light switch and Slave Dimmer Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was hoping for some advise on wiring the above switches, I have knowledge of vehicle electrics etc but didnt want to attempt this before speaking with you guys for guidance.

My house is a new build (2 years old)

I have a ceiling light in my living room with 2 seperate switches controlling it (either side of the living room)

I have purchased a Lightwave 2 way touch dimmer and the equivalent slave unit so I can hopefully use both switches as dimmers :D

Ok the standard rocker switches are wired as follows:

Switch 1: Brown L1
Black L2
Grey L3

Switch 2: Brown L1
Blue and a Grey Joined to L2 (Both with brown Sleeve)
Black and another Brown joined L3 (Black with brown sleeve)

(earth Connected to metal back box on switch 1, Earth screwed into chocolate block in swich 2 which is a plastic back box)

The Lightwave switches come with:

L
S
~ (With an arrow through it).

I have looked at the instructions that came with these and it seems self explanetry with regards the socket with 3 wires but not so easy with the socket with 5 wires?

What I was hoping to find out is, does the slave go to socket with 3 wires or the socket with 5 wires? And also just to confirm what wires go where?

I am not an amateur when it comes to electrics but I am also not an electrician so this is why I have come on to speak to you guys before attempting. I have also searched a lot for this information before posting as I didnt want to waste anybodys time but I just cant seem to find a set up which has this wiring setup?!

Please find instruction manual for the dimmers in question

http://www.lightwaverf.com/upload/pdf/JSJSLW200_1gangdimmer_manual.pdf

Thank you in advance for any help :D

Sponsored Links
Slave Switch : Brown ~
Black L (with brown Sleeve)
Grey S (with brown Sleeve)

Master Switch : Brown ~
Grey and Blue Joined to S (Both with brown Sleeve)
Black and another Brown joined L (Black with brown sleeve) this Brown is the one in the same cable as the Blue.

Thank you for the prompt reply :D

Just 2 things, does it matter which socket the slave goes in, the one with 5 wires or the one with 3? (instructions point to the one with 3 I know but already the colours of wires were not quite right in there) so just to be sure.

Also does this mean the instruction manual with the new dimmers is not in the same colour codes as my electrics?

Thanks again.

The master is the the place where the 5 wires are.

Follow the instructions and the colours as indicated on there. They ARE the same as the colours you have.

EFLI has (I think) given you advice based on his experience rather than referring to the link you gave.

The are two cable colour types. The old type was red yellow and blue, and the new one is grey, black and blue. Both are shown on the wiring diagram, .

EDIT..

I do see where you are confused. The dumbos who wrote the colour guide have said black or blue
they should have printed blue of black :rolleyes:

How confusing for the DIYer.

OK

At the master.

Both browns in L
Both blues in squiggly line
Grey in S

at the slave

Brown in L
blue in squiggly
Grey in S

OK????????

Sponsored Links
does it matter which socket the slave goes in, the one with 5 wires or the one with 3?
The one with 3.

(instructions point to the one with 3 I know but already the colours of wires were not quite right in there) so just to be sure.

Also does this mean the instruction manual with the new dimmers is not in the same colour codes as my electrics?

To be honest I didn't notice the colour key on the diagram.
I just edited what you posted.

The 2core+earth cable must be connected to the master switch
Brown to L and Blue to ~

It doesn't matter which of the 3core+earth you connect to which as long as both switches are done the same.

Ok thanks,

So are we saying:

Slave Switch: Black ~
Brown L
Grey S

Master Switch: Black and Blue Joined ~
Brown and Brown L
Grey S

A bit confused as it says Black or Blue on instructuions but I have both?!

No Just 1 blue at the master switch none at the slave?? Thanks for your help so far would be so thankful if we could confirm which would work :D

There aren't two blues.

Arghh See, I'm confused and i'm supposed to know what I am doing.

Yes, correct. Blue and black in ~

I've emailed the manufacturer and suggested that they should amend their instructions, and also pay attention to the ;norm' regarding harmonised colour equivalents
ie blue does NOT equal black!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back