2 way switch blunder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 bulb ceiling fitting, controlled by a 2 way settup with one of the switches being a dimmer.

The last of the 3 incandescent bulbs blew so I decided to replace them with energy savers. I'd need to remove the dimmer.

I took the dimmer switch off, realised I didn't have a suitable switch, went to get one and by the time I got back I had forgotten which wire went where.

Normally I would take a photo before taking apart, but like a true muppet, I forgot on this occasion :(

So now I am left with 2 red wires and 1 yellow wire, which doesn't seem to match up with any diagram I've seen.

Can anyone help please?

Sponsored Links
What is the wiring like at the other switch and at the light fitting?
Do these wires like they are part of one or more cables or do they seem to leave the box as individual wires?
Are you sure the red is the true color of the core and not a sleeve placed over it?

Thanks for taking a look.

Have taken some photos - should have done so before I started :oops:

This shows where dimmer was removed
Appears to be red, yellow & blue in one,
red & black in the other.
Red is the true colour of both reds

This shows second switch
Appears to be red, yellow & blue in one,
red & black in the other.
Red is the true colour of both reds,
yellow is taped red.

Hope this makes things clearer.

The red coming from the twin and earth is common or com or c

The red coming from the 3 core and earth is L1
The yellow which should be fitted with a bit of red sleeve is L2

If you switch is labelled 1, 2, 3 then

1 = Common
2 = L1
3 = L2

Sponsored Links
There are a few methods to wire a two way switch but the most common each wire goes into the same hole in each switch. The com or if no com L1 is the important one as long as that one is in correct hole it will work. So worse case only will take three attempts to get correct.

Plan B - get a multimeter and use it to identify which conductors are which rather than just trying different combinations until you hit on the right one...

RF Lighting's solution was spot on.

(I had problems elsewhere that prevented it working 1st time)

RF Lighting's solution was spot on.

(I had problems elsewhere that prevented it working 1st time)
Good to know it's sorted and a member was helpful.
Maybe it would be a good idea, to edit your post in response to RFL's advice, as it indicates that that was not a successful fix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back