2 Way Wiring Problem

Try a rocker switch in place of the dimmer to rule in/out whether the dimmer is at fault.

pj

Sponsored Links
I've tested both switches with the red & black wires as suggested above, the lights work that way.

photos taken on swith backs.

I've rewired carefully and tightly as before and nothing doing

225000_224381_86019_38947436_thumb.jpg

What is this "switch" ? What are the markings on the terminals ?

Sponsored Links
Many dimmer switches will not work in a normal 2 way circuit as they are not change over switches. They have three terminals. Live and Switched Live as in a normal ON OFF switch but the third terminal is a control input for use in "two way switching" The control input, sometimes called "slave" takes a control signal from the other "switch" which is not a switch but a remote controller.
Indeed.

And if I were a betting man, I might take a punt on that.

WE NEED A DECENT IMAGE OF THE DIMMER.

I can't help thinking there is something wrong with the dimmer.

And you must run an earth wire to those switch plates.

And you mustn't have all that exposed copper at the terminations.

Where one conductor enters a terminal, usually the stripped end should be doubled over, to give a bit of strength so the wire can't break easily.

I wonder if someone could please explain why a post linking to the instructions for uploading photos and pointing out, quite truthfully, that to accomplish it all of the steps in the process have to be done, is not allowed?

I've compared what I wrote to all of the rules and I can't see which one(s) it contravened.

The post, utterly non-offensive, had been removed without any explanation, multiple times.

The post, politely asking which site rule the original one contravened has also been removed, again with no answer, and no explanation, as has at least one post from somebody else which was in response to it.

If posts are to be removed, I do believe that it should be for a genuine reason, and as I said, I can't see what reason there was for removing mine. It linked to the instructions for uploading photos, just like this post does, and it pointed out, quite truthfully and helpfully, that unless you follow the process right to the end you won't get photos appearing in your posts.

If you do a search here for posts containing "forums" and "129539"

//search.diynot.com/forum_sear...tbytime=0&author=&search=Search+Forum&stype=0

you get 361 results.

How come hundreds of posts linking to the instructions for uploading photos are OK, but mine gets removed, and any mention of its removal is also removed?

Bernard, it is the dimmer and from left to right L1 - yellow wire L2-blue & COMM-red
Thanks

Suey

Is the dimmer labelled L1 L2 and COM ?

What make and type is the dimmer ?

First thing to do is replace the dimmer with a normal switch and see if the light then works and the switches control it correctly.

OK, Mod 8, that's fair enough - as long as you genuinely think you could provide a rational and intelligent explanation of how Bernard putting the photos in his post meant that the OP would then have known how to do it, even though Bernard didn't do anything to explain how to do it.

Bernard, yes they are labelled as stated.
It is United Electrical Products - Windsor
I will try a normal switch and post again

I've done as suggested and changed the dimmer for the flick switch but still no light from either.
Utterly bewildered!

Interesting. So, to confirm, when you put a single switch on the black & red cable you can use a single switch to control the lights? When you add in the 2nd switch, either a dimmer or a normal rocker switch, it doesn't work? When you add in the 2nd switch, you wire the 3-core like for like, com to com, l1 to l1, etc and move one of the red & black wires from l to com? If that's all the case then maybe there's a fault with the 3 core. Do you have a multimeter or continuity tester? I'd take one end of the 3 core and terminate all the cores into a single terminal on the switch (to join them all together) and then use a meter to test that you get continuity across all cores at the other end. We have previously tested that both rocker switches function on their own?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back