2 x 3kw heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

what would be best for wiring 2x 3kw heaters would it be better to wire a 20amp radial then use a fused spur for the heaters then?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
watts = volts times amps

amps = watts divided by volts

X = 6000 / 230 = 26

So both heaters on the same 20 amp radial will be OVERLOAD

Two radials at 20 Amps or a ring at 32 amp. Do NOT plug the two heaters into a twin socket. Use separate single sockets.

watts = volts times amps

amps = watts divided by volts

X = 6000 / 230 = 26

So both heaters on the same 20 amp radial will be OVERLOAD

Two radials at 20 Amps or a ring at 32 amp. Do NOT plug the two heaters into a twin socket. Use separate single sockets.

why wouldnt you use just one twin socket?

is it ok to use a fused spur with a 13amp fuse in it?

as the heaters have no plugs.

Because many are not rated at 26 amps load even though they have two "13 amp" sockets. The terminals and metal connections cannot take 26 amps

is it ok to use a fused spur with a 13amp fuse in it? as the heaters have no plugs.

Probably.

Your apparent lack of knowledge about how many amps the heaters will take suggests this is work beyond you ability and knowledge to do safely as a DIY project. Strongly suggest you consult an electrician.

Sponsored Links
As each individual appliance exceeds 2kW they require to be on designated circuits. Two 16A radial circuit's constructed using an appropriately sized cable is what will be required.

Because many are not rated at 26 amps load even though they have two "13 amp" sockets. The terminals and metal connections cannot take 26 amps

is it ok to use a fused spur with a 13amp fuse in it? as the heaters have no plugs.

Probably.

Your apparent lack of knowledge about how many amps the heaters will take suggests this is work beyond you ability and knowledge to do safely as a DIY project. Strongly suggest you consult an electrician.

thats ok i was only enqurying as to what might have to be done,

but i was going to get the materials for the job ya know,

so is 4mm2 cable and 2 fused spurs ok for the job with 2x 20amp breakers yea??

Thanks.

Your electrician can get the materials cheaper and quicker. And will make the decision as to what materials to use.

Your electrician can get the materials cheaper and quicker. And will make the decision as to what materials to use.

Thats ok,

but could somebody just say so that in my head i know ruffly whats going on,

is fused spurs ok with 13amp fuses yea? with 20amp breakers and 4mm t+e?

Thats ok,

but could somebody just say so that in my head i know ruffly whats going on,

is fused spurs ok with 13amp fuses yea? with 20amp breakers and 4mm t+e?

And so, the twin accounts are revealed..

Cannot comment on cable size, too many factors to consider and you haven't mentioned any of them. Don't worry about what size cable your electrician is going to use, he will do what's correct.

Hang on, aren't you the guy who's supposedly an apprentice yet doesn't know what an RCD is?

so is 4mm2 cable and 2 fused spurs ok for the job with 2x 20amp breakers yea??

Thanks.

If you use 4mm the radial can be fused at 30 amp and thus you can run the 4mm to the 1st f/spur and then run 2.5mm (or even 1.5mm) on to the second.

Why you think you would need two mcb's is a mystery.

If the board doesn't have an rcd unit the it would (likely) need a rcbo to keep inside the regs for a new circuit.

Only someone who has the correct data regarding cable distant, method of installation (trunking, conduit, sub floor void, direct clipped, in plaster, in insulation, touching insuation) can safely design the circuit.

1john gave the simple answer; 2 dedicated radial circuits, each feeding an outlet. Your electrician can decide what radial circuits to run and if they need FCUs. The heater specs may allow for protection by 16A MCB only and no 13A fuse for instance.

I assume there is a method to install a 20A radial circuit, in 2.5mm² say, but protect it with a 16A CB. There should be some document that another electrician can take up that says it is designed/installed for 20A.

All this will boil down to the current carrying capacity of the cable after all de-rating factors have been applied, for all we know the OP may need to run a 6mm cable for a 16A OCPD on the other hand 1.5mm may suffice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back