2 zones in small 3 bed worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new Vailant System boiler with Gledhill indirect unvented tank, and we're deciding on the system controls, I think it's going to be easier to fit the VR65 & weather compensator VR470 than use the existing, but one thing came up. Vaillant are upgrading the VR65 to 66 this gives an extra option of 2 zones, which they said we could think about as in why heat upstairs during the day.
It would be easy to add an extra valve as the piping for upstairs is split right next to the boiler, but is it worth it for a small 3 bed terrace? Would it save enough tobe worth it?
In fact it's a 2 bed with a loft conv, 3 upstairs rads, 1 bathroom rad (first floor extension) and 4 downstairs rads, 1hall, 2 large knock through front room & 1 conservatory / kitchen.
The VR66 isn't out till new year though so would have to run it off existing old s plan till it came out or get a VR 61 plus an extra stat , but not sure where extra upstair stat would go , one of the bedrooms.
Appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
Different opinions and solutions exist. Personally I made the bathroom a separate zone so that the small rad and towel rad in there meant we could dry towels and take the early morning chill off the room in the summer.

Works well for us, and the proximity of the valve to the bathroom made it about £70 more fin materials to set up. Whether we get this back over the lifetime of the system, who knows? Indeed, who cares ;) As said - we find it useful. :)

the problem in zoning in small properties is that the zones are rarely big enough to dissipate the heat of the boiler, although proprietary controls do mitigate this to a great extent.....given that the boiler needs a minimum flow rate.

Thats why vaillant ask for a low loss header...

also if the zones are not thermally isolated and the rooms in regular use over each day there is not a lot of point in it...

Vaillant ... said we could think about as in why heat upstairs during the day.
That's fine if you keep all the doors closed downstairs if the thermostat is in the living room, and also upstairs if the stat is in the hall.

Zoning a house is only required on complete new systems, including new pipework and then only if it is cost-effective.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, thats great..I was going to wire in my old S Plan but I think we shall go with the Valiant new controls it should shave a few more percentage off the bills. at least its quite easy with the VR65 and wireless thermostat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back