2003 Fiesta Mk6 - Sat for 2+ years

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been given a Mk6 Fiesta (2003) 1.4 petrol Duratec. It's done 83k and has had a new clutch, oil and service within the last 4k miles.

Unfortunately it was taken off the road in October 2016 and left on my parents drive for over two years. It was occasionally started to keep things lubricated and moving. I have since recommissioned it by putting a new rocker cove gasket on, checked the plugs, replaced brake discs and pads and stuck it through an MoT. It's now on the road this week.

My partner needs to use it to get around for work while she awaits her new lease car and I'm just worried about her using it. There was a quarter of a tank of petrol in the tank when I got it which I did not drain :( I simply put £20 in and have used it for 3 days. When starting it will cut out, so I re-start with a little throttle and it is then fine. It doesn't cut out after that. Do I just need to get a few tanks through to clear the fuel system?

Will petrol that is probably around 2 years and 4 months old be causing an issue like this? The plugs are a good make and only changed 4k miles ago. I have checked them and they are in good shape.

Sponsored Links
Just give the car a chance with a few brisk runs, using a quality fuel such as Optimate and see how it goes. My guess is that it will settle down and behave after a while but they have I think an idle valve which could be blocked. Nothing to worry about!
John :)

The petrol might have turned to jelly in pipes, used to get this problem on smaller motorbikes. It probably just needs a few tanks worth the clean it out. You could try cleaning the Idle air control valve.

Just fill it up and drive it. If it was okay when last used regularly, it should be okay still now. An oil and filter change wouldn’t do amiss though. When my son laid his Peugeot 206 for over a year while he was working abroad, it started fine when he came back apart from the engine management light coming on. Fresh fuel cured that in about 10 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps, it seems to slowly be getting better which is encouraging. Once you've figured the clutch out it can be a very smooth drive. I bought some Ford synthetic oil and a filter at the weekend so will be changing that to get rid of the old stuff.

I'll also have a look at cleaning the idle control valve. I imagine it may be gunked up a bit. On my old Hillman all you had to do was adjust a screw on the carb!

As the name suggests, when the throttle is fully closed the idle valve comes into play and theoretically provides a stable tickover. I recall there are quite a few designs for these and likewise prices, so it would be prudent to get the correct one if its necessary!
It could be worth looking at the air and fuel filter at the same time.#
John :)

The air filter was caked in oil and dirt and replacing it was probably the reason the emissions test was half as harmful as the last one! I think the fuel filter was changed 3 years ago though.

At startup the car will sit at 1100 rpm for 5 mins before dropping down to a stable 650-700rpm after 7 or 8 mins. It did in the past have to be recovered as the throttle body was defective -- the AA recommended a new one but in checking it, it just needed a very good clean with carb cleaner. I'll inspect the idle control valve and see what's what. Thanks again.

I noticed yesterday that the throttle pedal has an electrical box and no cable so it is actually an electrically-controlled throttle so no idle control valve.

There is an incredibly difficult-to-get-to PCV pipe from the inlet manifold which is involved in controlling the idle. Apparently these are prone to splitting. I will check at the weekend if mine is split and if so, replace. Absolute ar*e of a job by the the looks of it involving removal of the manifold itself but I will see what I'm working with later.

I noticed yesterday that the throttle pedal has an electrical box and no cable so it is actually an electrically-controlled throttle so no idle control valve.

There is an incredibly difficult-to-get-to PCV pipe from the inlet manifold which is involved in controlling the idle. Apparently these are prone to splitting. I will check at the weekend if mine is split and if so, replace. Absolute ar*e of a job by the the looks of it involving removal of the manifold itself but I will see what I'm working with later.

Very easy to do, I’ve changed quite a few in my time - they normally turn to mush and collapse in on themselves. You can sometimes hear them sucking air. Definitely don’t remove the manifold though. I use an extra long pair of long-nosed pliers like these (https://www.manomano.co.uk/long-nos...-fupV1simcFTBVjhZI5iSES_MFmLinPQaAn_9EALw_wcB) to remove and refit the hose from where it connects the engine and pcv by getting the pliers through the manifold. The hose should look like this:

5DA8BF2E-542B-4180-9D89-D6319A9D5972.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks -- that's the pipe and not had chance to look yet as partner needed the car for work while she awaits her lease car. I've only managed to find one guide online and in that the chap removed the manifold for access. When I get chance to have a good nose around I'll see how difficult to get to. I've had air intake pipes split before but they've usually been easy to get to.

Could have partially clogged injectors, I've resurrected cars and bikes stood for years and when petrols properly "gone off" its awfully stuff!. (New fuel pumps and injectors in ultrasonic bath job..).

As everyone says a full tank and a good 50 mile run to get all the gunk out and it should be good as new.

I'm hoping it's just a case of running it through a few tanks -- if the injectors are at fault I'll probably scrap her. Truth be told since being stood the car has now done 141 miles and less lumpy on idle (although the persistent starting problem is still there which I'm hoping is the aforementioned pipe).

The rear brakes made a horrible grinding sound last Friday so I took the rear drums off, inspected and cleaned everything up and they've been fine since.

A fairly easy car to work on but I expect more gremlins as she gets used to being woken up!

Sponsored Links
Back