2007 Renault master won’t turn over, start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if any of you mechanically minded types (Skills I don’t have) could give me an opinion on this please

2007 Renault master, camper, won’t start

lights are on dash, but when you turn the key, sod all.

haven’t checked Battery with multimeter yet, but onboard display says 12.6v off charge.

any idea what to check first?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Try looking at the battery voltage with the lights on.....if it drops dramatically then the battery could be flat. (Off load readings aren't reliable).
If that's ok, check the thinner wire at the starter motor for security.
There could be other issues, but its a start!
John :)

Cheers John, will check over the weekend and report back. (y)

Ok just a quickie,

battery is being charged by on board charger, 13.6v ( my solar panel charges both starter and leisure batteries. )

I will look to disable it, should have said before:

when I turn the key there is a click, repeated this.

lights all look bright, think the battery (Bosch) is around 3/4 years old... last one was the original.

connections on starter look good from what I can see, need to take off undertray to see underneath it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The click is from the starter solenoid.....this throws a gear into the flywheel ring gear to turn the motor over - or at least it should do! At the moment you have the symptoms of a below par battery and it would be a good idea to fully charge it first, or connect another vehicle to it with some jump leads.

Ok, Thanks.

Had a real blond moment, was going to give the starter a tap, thought, it’s quite a big unit... been looking at the alternator.:cautious::D

just got the under tray off, but can’t see the starter anywhere, so will see when I find it
:D

Opposite end of the engine to the alternator, mounted on the upper side of the gearbox bell housing.
Actually, belting the starter stems from many years ago when inertia starters were common.....the small gear would stick due to clutch dust and a sharp whack would often free it. Pre engaged starters are used now, much more gentle!

Right then,

the solar has finished charging the batteries once it went dark.

starter battery is reading 12.7v

Dashboard lights are good, and the red dot (immobiliser light) has gone out (correct)

Main driving lights are correct (headlight bulb Out:() and not dim.

I found the starter, but it looks like a pig to get to :mad:

I also have tiptronic gearbox, so can engage a gear to rock it.

So I presume it will need towing or fixing on the spot.

thanks again.

Rocking the van in gear only worked on the old inertia starter where the pinion got stuck in the ring gear, not applicable to you unfortunately! More likely is the switch on the brake pedal playing up.

Think we need to bring the inertia stuff back! :D

Is the brake pedal switch a common thing on these vans?

I’ll check this tomorrow, not sure what I’ll be looking for... dodgy switch/wiring?

See that the brake switch(es) haven't got disconnected somehow, you may hear a click if they are working. If there's only one of course the stop lamps should operate. There may be other interlocking devices that prevents starting when in gear- on the gear lever itself perhaps.

How big is the solar panel?. Mine would keep both leisure and starter battery at 13 volts. Sounds like the battery to me. Turn headlights on and then crank the engine if they dim the battery needs charging.
When was it last used? Vehicles nowadays have radio memories and alarms that can flatten a battery in a couple of weeks if not used.

Sponsored Links
Back