2010 Qashqai - Aircon only cool out of one vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all.
I had my aircon regased a few weeks ago and all has been working well until a few days ago. Before the refill a vacuum test was done and everything was fine.

It has stopped being ice cool coming out of all vents when the air con is one, re-circ selected and the temp set to LO but now the cool air is only coming out of one vent. :(

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Try using the fan on full speed, temperature minimum, with the car set to draw fresh air from the outside......also check the fan actually runs on all settings.
John :)

Try using the fan on full speed, temperature minimum, with the car set to draw fresh air from the outside......also check the fan actually runs on all settings.

Thanks for your suggestion.

The fan is running but the cab is only getting slightly cool air whether the recirc is selected or not.

WIth the engine running, air con on, temperature set to minimum and the fan on 1, 2, 3 or 4
Can you hear the compressor cutting in and out.....its really quite distinctive? Best to be outside the car, standing near the front.
If you can’t, I’ve a feeling the gas pressure is low.

Sponsored Links
WIth the engine running, air con on, temperature set to minimum and the fan on 1, 2, 3 or 4
Can you hear the compressor cutting in and out.....its really quite distinctive? Best to be outside the car, standing near the front.
If you can’t, I’ve a feeling the gas pressure is low.

Thanks John. with the aircon on as setup as you describe above, I can only hear the fan kicking in, It comes on for a while then goes of again and then on again etc.

Inside the car, I can't hear any different noises when switching in the air con. :(

That’s usually a good sign, but unfortunately no guarantee the compressor is working.....you need to get the gas pressure tested first, and maybe you could consider one of those top up cans from Halfords? Not the best, but not a bad start.

That’s usually a good sign, but unfortunately no guarantee the compressor is working.....you need to get the gas pressure tested first, and maybe you could consider one of those top up cans from Halfords? Not the best, but not a bad start.

I had the air I topped up a few weeks ago. The guy came with the machine and said that there was no gas in it the system. He done the vacuum test etc and then refilled the system with a smidge of oil and said all was good.

The air con worked for the few days I had it on cool but then didn’t need it for several days . Then when I went to use the cool it was like this.

Could it be a fuse somewhere?

Clutching at straws but I m hesitant to get more gas put in if the issue isn’t resolved if you know what I mean!

Cheers

If you had it topped up, it's possible that you had and still have a leak.
If you can see the compressor, it's often at the bottom and difficult to see but if you can see it, get someone to sit in the car and, with the engine running switch on the air con. You should see the clutch coming in and turning the pump when it is switch on and releasing when it is switched off. If nothing happens you need gas.

Last edited:
There will be a large pipe and a smaller one from the a/c system, one hot other cold. Are they getting actually getting hot and cold?

Are the air mix flaps working properly?

Time for a regas Im afraid....this time make sure they inject a flourescent dye which easily shows up under UV light. Just the job for leak tracing!

The chap who refilled it for me has said he'll come back and find out what's ahppening for me.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks

Right then.

The chap has been this afternoon and after a good inspection with the UV light, it apparent that there is a leak from where a pipe connects to the compressor.

He has recommented a new compressor. Does this sound right?

Thanks

A new compresor seems a little drastic.....Im just wondering how the pipe joins to the compressor, and if its just a coupling that needs to be remade.
At least the leak has shown up!

Yep, that's exactly the same as a Renault one I've replaced......single torx screw, 'O' ring underneath. If I remember rightly, the solid pipe changes to a flexible one courtesy of a crimped ferrule.

Sponsored Links
Back