20a switch for appliances yes or no ?

If the household is reliant on a cordless landline phone, then killing the entire electrical installation could delay communication with Emergency Services.
It was always said you should not rely on this and have a conventional phone plugged in somewhere as backup.

Sponsored Links
It was always said you should not rely on this and have a conventional phone plugged in somewhere as backup.
It's certainly wise(for the time being - see below), but I'm not so sure who is "always saying it".

In any event, I gather that BT are planning to 'phase out' their copper network, in which case even 'corded' phones will presumably not work in the absence of power?

Didn't BT get into bother quite recently when their VOIP service shut down during a massive storm and people were left without communication for days?.

I believe they have publicly said the are rethinking their strategy after that.

As for switches for under counter appliances, I kept ours. Easier to disconnect at switch rather than running to consumer unit if you have an issue.

There is also a problem in areas where there is un-reliable ( or non existent ) mobile phone coverage. Such areas have ( or had ) a public telephone box on a reliable copper loop. Some were monitored for line faults ( Redcare ) to ensure the repair process was started with minimum down time.

Sponsored Links

It's certainly wise(for the time being - see below), but I'm not so sure who is "always saying it".

In any event, I gather that BT are planning to 'phase out' their copper network, in which case even 'corded' phones will presumably not work in the absence of power?

For a while I worked in telecomms, and it was considered good practice in case of emergency or power failure. Even a trip in your own house. Or a failure due to a fire. The phone companies invest a lot in standby batteries and generators to provide a dependable service. Frame rooms and private switchboards in offices also have batteries so can work in a power cut.

In a Major Incident cellphones are likely to be swamped or stop working, so emergency services and essential utilities use PMR, and a different comms network. Unsurprisingly there is a network used by, for example, the railways and government that is not the same.

Your VOIP might still work in a power cut if you can power your hub, from batteries or a UPS, so might your broadband. I will probably get one when my line is converted.

Unlike PSTN, IP is connectionless and inherently unreliable

Last edited:
For a while I worked in telecomms, and it was considered good practice in case of emergency or power failure. Even a trip in your own house. Or a failure due to a fire.
As I've said, more than once, it's definitely wise (when it can be done).

The phone companies invest a lot in standby batteries and generators to provide a dependable service.
I don't doubt that but, as I've also said, that would be no consolation (or help) to subscribers who don't have a copper connection to the exchange/wherever.

Kind Regards, John

I don't doubt that but, as I've also said, that would be no consolation (or help) to subscribers who don't have a copper connection to the exchange/wherever.
well, that depends what sort of backup power the telecomms network has, and if the subscriber has taken the precaution of putting a UPS or battery on his hub. I think the power load will be pretty low.

I have a fibre service to a street cabinet at the end of the road, and copper from there

AFAIK nobody is saying they will run 200 million new fibres into homes and offices

AFAIK nobody is saying they will run 200 million new fibres into homes and offices
That stage is currently underway. A couple of weeks ago a fibre was installed to the post outside my home. If I want to subscribe to the service a fibre would be installed from the post to my home. There is the possibility to receive a 1 Gbps connection (averaging 920 Mbps). No copper connection would be provided and phones would be the IP type which would not function in a power cut unless I power the router from a UPS.

well, that depends what sort of backup power the telecomms network has, and if the subscriber has taken the precaution of putting a UPS or battery on his hub. I think the power load will be pretty low. ... I have a fibre service to a street cabinet at the end of the road, and copper from there ... AFAIK nobody is saying they will run 200 million new fibres into homes and offices
Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding was that (although it will obviously take a long time) there IS a progressive move towards running fibres into all homes and offices etc.

Gigaclear have put fibres into my (tiny) village, including a 'pot' just by my front gate. If I wished to avail myself of their service, they would run fibre (only) from there to my house.

Kind Regards, John

I have a fibre service to a street cabinet at the end of the road, and copper from there
Traditionally with FTTC, the cabinet only handles broadband with the voice continuing back to the exchange on copper.

BT openreach in the long term want to phase out their copper network in preference for a fiber one. This will be a process that likely takes many years to complete, but it is already starting. Where I live the FTTP connectorised distribution points have recently sprung up on the telephone poles and the sides of buildings. Some customers are getting plugged into them too.

Seperately BT openreach intend to phase out analogue voice in favour of VOIP delivered over customer's broadband connections (BT retail market this service as "digital voice", other communication providers may have their own names).

Shockingly they are planning to do this even for people who don't have FTTP available, so many people will be downgraded from traditional copper voice lines.to VOIP over ADSL or FTTC.

well, that depends what sort of backup power the telecomms network has
Telephone exchanges have long-duration backup power, but FTTC cabinets have much shorter backup duration (since they were originally intended to be broadband only).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back